Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 12:23 AM   #11
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Restoring a 1957 Marketeer

You probably found a photo of mine online on a 3 wheeler forum. The guy's name was Chip. That was out west somewhere. The previous owner ran a trucking company and hauled home every old car that appealed to him. I bought it at the largest collector car auction in Ohio two years ago when he finally got rid of everything. About 800 cars mainly Studebaker but many micro cars. I'll attach photos from the auction listing. and take some of the door mechanism later. You can see the inside mechanism in one photo.

It is not as bad looking in person! Best part is that everything is there and not broken except for that one door handle spring. I also have the only Marketeer Chargicator I have seen so far. These are expanded scale volt meters for the dash that indicate remaining charge. Very colorful green and blue graphics. It is 4 or 5 inches in diameter and looks amazing. They were an option on all the models but cost as much as the hard top so I doubt many people ordered them.

I have copies of lots of material from the factory archives. Many brochures, blueprints, photos of the factory. Very little of it is for this model, though. Plus newspaper articles with some photos of the "production line" and a cool photo of the lineup of the 1950 models that shows a Carson top that apparently was not sold. That's what I am going to try and make for mine.

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marketeer-33R_1.jpg (160.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Marketeer-33R_2.jpg (140.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Marketeer-33R_4.jpg (154.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Marketeer-33R_5.jpg (120.0 KB, 0 views)
mixdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2020, 01:37 AM   #12
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

Woof! Great pictures and info Dennis! Thanks for posting your pictures and history of your cart. That makes it a cool dozen Marketeers that I have seen online.
My Marketeer came from Nevada. A guy was picking wheels from a metal scrapper and saw this car off to the side. He packed it up and brought it back to California. I bought it from him. It seems all there with a few modifications to the dash electrical switches. The motor's electrical system seems to be original.
Our cars seem to have the same tiller handle and horn button. The tail lights are the same. The rear wheel hubs look different. My hubs say “GAR BRO” on them. Do you have grease caps?
I too had a broken spring! I ordered one and I attempted to install it. While I was attempting to install it with pliers and a screwdriver, I broke one of the two little fins that hold the spring in place (weakened the fin when I pried it open to release the original spring). Useless! They are really tough springs. I finally just stretched a normal spring inside the mechanism and it works. You are welcome to the spring I bought (Eckler's 1955-1957 Ford Thunderbird Inside Door Handle Shaft Assembly Return Spring). You can order the whole assembly from Eckler’s.
It looks like our door handles are the same as well. I have seen these handles advertised for Fords between 1951 and 1957. Our cars must fit into that age bracket since all of the handles on the Marketeers I have seen are the same. I thought these might be earlier but I can’t argue with the age of the handles.
Your motor compartment and foot controls are all different. I wonder if that was an option back in the day? If a hand operated system had been replaced with your foot controls, there would be evidence of its removal.
If you have info regarding these cars, I’d love to see any and all! Do you have pictures of the material? I’ve been scouring the internet looking for anything but have pretty much come out empty-handed. Also, do you have a picture of that Marketeer Chargicator? I haven’t even heard about that either! I’d love to see a picture of that.
I have owned my Marketeer for just a couple of months . Sounds like you have gotten quite a bit of info in the last couple of years regarding these cars. Thanks for sharing Dennis. I appreciate your input!

Here are a few pictures of some of my car parts.
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiller handle snip.JPG (33.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg door handle snip.JPG (61.0 KB, 0 views)
seavandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:59 AM   #13
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

Is this the spring? This one is broken as you can see.
Replacement spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring snip.JPG (55.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg spring snip 1.JPG (26.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 02:24 AM   #14
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Everything was an option. The base model with no doors, top, windshield, etc was called the Runabout. You could then add the foot controls instead of hand control, doors, single headlight system, dual headlight system, windshield, hard top, Edison batteries (nickle-iron), and the Chargicator. The tail lights, etc are standard 1940's items readily available on eBay.

The rear hubs are very poorly redesigned from the original design. I have not been able to ID the source of the axle. I posted some photos on H.A.M.B. to no avail. Seems most similar to mid 40's Chrysler. Maybe off a Jeep or something. It is very heavy duty for it's current use!

They shortened the housing and the axle shafts and then for some ungodly reason they welded the bearing retainer to the axle so you cannot replace the bearings or seals! Then they welded the rear wheel to the axle!!! The grease cap is welded to the outside of the wheel.

I have already put the axles on the lathe and cut off the welded retainer to take everything apart and will machine a C clip groove. I'm really tempted to cut the **** wheels off and make a proper bolt-on hub but I think I will leave it as is.

Do you have the Rube Goldberg forward-reverse mechanism shown to the right of the rear axle? You have to remember Merl Williams was designing this from scratch. It doesn't even look like it would work but it does. I'll have to make a video of it. By the way, this motor flips the field to reverse instead of flipping the main positive and negative leads.

Do you have your horn? Marketeers and Autoettes used a unique Jubilee horn with a swirl pattern grill. Very hard to find. One sold on eBay last year before I noticed it, it was new old stock. The American Pickers found one last year but didn't realize it was unique. Mine works great but is rusted. I have had a graphic artist recreate the label.

Dennis
Old 02-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

I have what I think is the original horn. Noisy sucker! I have seen this horn on other Marketeers.
My forward-reverse mechanism is a mystery to me. Remember, I have only had this car for a couple of months. The only reason it runs is that I have a friend that has been doing auto electric for decades that made sense of the wiring and electrical goings on with this car.
I have included a picture of the first electric car that I bought at an estate sale three weeks before I bought the Marketeer. It is an early 50's Mobilette that was buried up to the axles in dirt in the guy's back yard. It has the swirl pattern horn.
As for the electrical stuff, all I can do is refer to the "guts" picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn snip.JPG (67.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg snip 2.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg marketeer motor mine snip.JPG (117.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg speeds.JPG (76.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Did you know the Marketeer carts were made in Redlands, CA?
These are candidates for universal solid state conversion kits.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes, that is the horn they all used. Looks like you need a label also. When I print mine I'll make some extras. I glad you identified the door mechanism as that is the one part I have been worrying about. They did make the Marketeer from the mid 40s so it must be off an even earlier Ford then 1950. Unless they switched door handles....

I only have a small photo of the Town Deville drive and it does appear to use the same basic axle. But the Town Deville motor runs across the chassis and has some sort of a right angle drive into the pumpkin. Mine just has a pulley attached to the pinion shaft and a simple belt drive to a motor that is inline on the chassis. You can just see it in the photo of the axle.

I didn't realize you have the handle accelerator/brake/ mechanism. Does that allow you to go into reverse or is there a separate lever under the seat? My speed control is on an asbestos plate under the floor by the accelerator.

Dennis
Old 02-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #18
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I went through all my photos and I do have more images then I remembered. Here is a description of the Marketeer shoppers I have photos of:

1. Red with white front bumper - Mark Brumman - lots of photos

2. Red all original – woman in Tecemula

3. Silver with aluminum panel in rear window

4. Light green restored – auction photos

5. Completely rusted – eBay in January 2019. I emailed back and forth with the seller but I couldn't work out a good way to get it to Ohio from California.

6. On a small trailer with rusted front panel

7. Chip’s from 3 wheeler forum – mine

8. Green, yellow and red striped paint

9. Marketeer and Autoette in 2019 Doo Dah parade

10. Blue one with extended doors and small bed on the back. UGLY!

12. Larry Fisher, Executive Director of the NHRA Motorsports Museum had one.

13. Yours!

Sad news. I just searched for Larry's name to make sure I got his title correct and he passed away in November, 2019. He knew more about early electric cars then anyone. He had a collection of 36 of various makes. He was on the board of an electric vehicle museum before the NHRA.

I spoke to him a few months before he passed away and learned a lot.

Dennis
Old 02-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #19
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Here is the Marketeer chargicator. The original cover is cellulose and has turned opaque. But that kept the sun from getting through and fading the dial. It would be possible to make a replacement from acrylic but it is a fairly complex "hat" shape. I found that tachometers from 1950s Triumph motorcycles are the same size and I obtained a chrome bezel. I will fit it with a flat crystal made from archival acrylic to keep UV off the dial. The second photo shows the bezel on the chargicator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chargicator1.JPG (137.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Chargicator bezel.JPG (105.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #20
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

Hey Dennis. More great info and the awesome Marketeer testmeter! I certainly need something to tell me how much juice my car has left in it. I'll be looking for something vintage. I have a picture of the original (added by the PO) meter setup. I had to pull it. It didn't look good, was not really functional, and wasn't vintage.
There was a memorial for Larry last Saturday. I thought about attending but I really didn't know him. I saw his video on YouTube and have read several of his posts regarding Autoettes and other electric cars. He also had a blog and a Yahoo group as well. I sure wish I could have been a part of that. He certainly will be missed by a lot of people.
As for your drive train, I have a friend (John Agnew of Funky Junk Farms) that has a Towne Deville. I will stop by his place and see if I can take a picture of his motor compartment. Or, he might be able to send me a picture of it. I will pass it on to you.
He had a Marketeer script that he let me borrow to copy. I have a friend in the jewelry business that is making a few for me. My car was missing both of the scripts. There are two versions. One just says "Marketeer" and the other includes "Redlands Calif". I am having my friend make me the "Marketeer" one. It should be done soon. Cherry on the cake! Bling for the Bug!
Here are pictures of the toasted meter on my car, and all of the Marketeers I have found online so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autoette and marketeer snip.JPG (41.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg beater snip.JPG (49.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg blue swallow snip.JPG (66.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Dennis snip.JPG (83.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Doo Dah snip.JPG (32.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration