lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Couple easy Questions.

First off I have a 91 club car carryall 2 with kf82 flathead motor. 8hp right? 341cc correct? It is lifted with atv tires on it. Ok, how tight does the drive belt need to be? I have machined the drive clutch(rear clutch, never can remember which is which) and put the new heavy duty spring in it. I have gotten the new heavy duty belt put on. What else can I do to get some speed? What should be the speed range that I should expect for this cart. Thanks always get good help on here.
Shoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Couple easy Questions.

The KF82 is a 341cc 8 hp engine... correct!
The drive belt should be somewhat loose When it's not running so the cart won't lunge at start up.
I'm not exactly sure about your year cart, but, on 92+ DS's... for the proper belt tension,
the distance between the Drive clutch (front) and the Driven (rear) clutch should be 9 5/8" center to center!

If you had the Driven (rear) clutch machined, and replaced the spring, It won't give you a higher speed, BUT... it'll give you oodles of torque!
I don't know about adjusting the governor on a KF82 to get you a higher speed, so I'll leave that one alone!
Springbok is the man to help you with that one!

Hope this helps!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well I have a lot of slack it seems in my belt and motor is adjusted all the way forward. Thanks for the information. Do you know how fast a motor like this normally goes? 15-20mph? Thanks again
Old 07-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Stock? 10 to 13 mph... lifted, larger tires, and governor adjusted? I've read upwards of 20 mph or so...
I don't have any experience with KF82's (besides reading) so I can't honestly answer that!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I got my stock KF82 cart up to 22mph on 22" tires. Probably could have pushed the motor further but it might have blown it. Bigger tires = higher top speed but lower low-end torque. What size are your tires?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here the screw where you can adjust the governor. The stock setting on the governor is to loosen the bolt (pictured), push the carb throttle all the way forward and the governor arm (pictured) all the way forward and then re-tighten. To adjust for more speed, hold the throttle all the way forward, loosen the bolt (pictured) and move the governor arm back and then re-tighten. It's trial and error to find the right speed. The rod was actually too short for the speed I want, so I have my governor rod removed completely, which you can also do on these older carts, but it's only because I'm the only one who drives it and I know the motor's limits.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'm running 26X12X12. Eventually I am going to upgrade motors but cant afford to right now. Just wanted more speed for now. I was told that putting different spring in drive clutch would counter act what did for the driven clutch. True? Ok so going to tighten belt and adjust governor. Thanks for info
Old 07-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I never upgraded my drive clutch spring, only my driven clutch. I can't say if upgrading both springs will cancel each other out, I've not looked into the drive clutch upgrade.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

ok thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car