lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
jpeezy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default A lot of smoke, but no fire.

I just replaced the battery cables on my '87 marathon 36v with 4g wires and the resistor coil wiring with 6g wires. Now every time the key turns on the wiring off of the fnr switch starts smoking and melting. The cart had 6g on the batteries prior. Do I need to go either 4g all the way through or is there some other problem?
jpeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: A lot of smoke, but no fire.

Go over your wiring again, you miswired something when you changed the cables.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
jpeezy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did bypass the back up buzzer by putting a jumper between the micro switches. But I didn't think that it was a big deal. Was I wrong? Also it seems like the heat is coming off of the m-switches.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If you jumped the backup buzzer micro the buzzer would sound ALL the time. I don't think you jumped the backup buzzer micro, must have been something else. My next question is "Did the cart run before you rewired it?"
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
jpeezy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, it ran. I took the two wires from the m-switches that went into the buzzer, cut them off the buzzer, and tied them together. The cart goes f and r now, but with smoke from the fnr switch.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Tieing the 2 buzzer wires together should create a dead short ONLY when you place the cart in REVERSE. Those 2 wires should not have any effect on anything else unless someone has canabalized the wiring and has it all messed up. You should get a wiring diagram and make sure everything is correct before something catches fire.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
jpeezy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, thnx roady. The cart didn't work when a guy down the street put it out on the curb with a "take me" sign on it. So I drug it home for my first cart project. I got it running with some batteries and cleaning, and now I'm just replacing parts as I get some extra money. The wiring seems correct by the diagram I got, other than that buzzer. My problem seemed to start with replacing the battery cables with 4g instead of the 6g it had before.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Texasworkhorse
Not Yet Wild

I installed 4 AWG gauge cables on my 1987 resistor cart without any problems pre or post cable install. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I did draw out the cabling prior to disconnecting everything. Sounds like a loose connection or miswiring..........
Texasworkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO