lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
outerextreme
Not Yet Wild

Default EC25DS backfires thru exhaust

I have an ez-go 3 wheel golf cart that I am working on for a friend. It has a Robin EC25DS, 2 stroke engine. I don't know what year it is. loking at it, it is an older one. The problem is it backfires out the exhaust. I changed the plug and it ran but poped farted and wouldn't rev. the carb is clean. I pulled the plug back out and it was covered with carbon soot. It smokes enough to burn my eyes. I checked the compression and it has about 125psi cold. Any ideas where I should look?
outerextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EC25DS backfires thru exhaust

what is the fuel mix? 125 compression is good. there should be a tag under the right side of the dash that will give a year, last 2 digits of the manufacture code. Need to determine if it has point or cdi ignition.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
outerextreme
Not Yet Wild

not sure of the fuel mix. it had almost a full tank when it was dropped off. the tag under the dash has 2 sets of numbers on it. The first set of numbers is 780 28 and the second set of numbers is I54I59
outerextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The mix should be 128:1. (1oz oil/1gal gas). From the numbers it looks to be a 78.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That machine would have points behind the flywheel. If it is back firing all of the time I would check the points and condenser, if it only back fires when you let off the accelerator then step back on then the throttle cable is out of adjustment or the cable spring is broken or missing.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I wouldn't mess with the points or condenser. My 79 still has both originals in it. I think your throttle cable is out of adjustment. Read this this. It will help you a lot. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?p=734480

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In that view the spring is in the wrong place, it belongs over the throttle cable tube at the bracket, the cable ball belongs against the throttle toggle. This makes the housing adjustment continuous. A condenser can fail at any time on any machine causing misfires and back fires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO