lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
jrwpmw
Not Yet Wild

Default Rear wheel not turning, noise in rear end

92 36v club car

While working on another problem (solenoid clicks, wheel turns slightly, but keep trying and it will eventually will go). I noticed something else while I had the car lifted.

The passenger wheel started to turn with the drivers. then stopped. I went to check and it's hard to turn and it sounded like the wheel/axel was making noise.

Tomorrow, I will take the wheel off and see what's up. But was just wonder what are common problems/things to look for.

Thanks
jrwpmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
jrwpmw
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rear wheel not turning, noise in rear end

I pulled the wheel, brakes look fine, hub turns. I didn't hear that noise either.

With the wheel off (passenger side), car lifted and under power. I noticed that the drivers side is now not turning!

So, I assume this car has some time of limited slip gearing? I just assumed either one wheel or both would always turn. But as mentioned, last night with both tires on. The drivers side turned and passengers started too, then stopped. Now today, with that passenger wheel off, the drivers side is not turning at all, but the passenger side is turning fine.

Weird! I plan pulling the drivers side tonight. Cleaning everything and adjusting the brakes.

Oh, regarding the orginal problem.....the solenoid clicking, wheels start to turn then stop, but if keeping trying and eventually it will go (and once started will run fine until stopped again).
Here's what I have done so far:
1) Replaced/checked all batteries.
2) Removed/disassembled and cleaned the F/R switch and Wiper Switch. Both looked OK, really good after a cleaning.
3) Removed every wire, cleaned the connector and post. Replaced any questionable wires.
4)Tested the solenoid (jumped posts) worked, it worked.

Next
5) I ordered a new solenoid, can't hurt for $20!
6) If solenoid doesn't fix the problem, I will pull the motor and look at the brushes, etc. If I do that, I will be back asking how too - and what to watch out for!

Thanks again for all of your help, this forum is great!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
rib33024

where did you get the solenoid,? not one from the auto part store??,you can not use a car solenoid, and are the batteries new or used?? what is the pack volts and each battery volts??, only one wheel pulls not both wheels,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i agree you must use a golfcart solenoid................load test each battery and at least eliminanate them as problem, and yes one wheel turns the other not..........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
jrwpmw
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it's the exact solenoid for my cart (ordered it online). The batteries are new at read 6v each, the entire pack was showing about 39v last time charged.

The weird thing is that the car starts to move. When lifted you can see the rear wheel turn just a little, you can heard the solenoid engage, the motor click and start to turn, etc.

If you keep pushing the pedal it will eventually go (sometimes it may take 20+ tries). Then it will run perfect until you stop again, then same problem.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

92 36v CC .... resistor coil cart? I had a 1993 was a controller cart. Can you confirm?
Does the solenoid click every time? Even when the cart won't go? Lets answer those questions and try to eliminate a few items from the list of possibles.
By the way your differential is working as designed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
hanny
Getting Wild

my cart has a limited slip rear end, looks just like a chevy rear end settup. one wheel only turning is normal from what mine looks like. if you say one side moves then the other moves, I think thats normal
hanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwpmw View Post
Yes, it's the exact solenoid for my cart (ordered it online). The batteries are new at read 6v each, the entire pack was showing about 39v last time charged.

The weird thing is that the car starts to move. When lifted you can see the rear wheel turn just a little, you can heard the solenoid engage, the motor click and start to turn, etc.

If you keep pushing the pedal it will eventually go (sometimes it may take 20+ tries). Then it will run perfect until you stop again, then same problem.
if you can,t find anything external you might want to pull the motor look at the brushes......rare but happens and the cart being 20 years old who knows ..............not it could still be your new solenoid even new it can be bad and i have seen a few that acted just that way.............................
Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
jrwpmw
Not Yet Wild

I will be installing a new solenoid this week, next step to check the brushes. Any notes on how to best remove the motor for that?

Also, does the solenoid provide any power to the controller and motor? I get voltage to the solenoid when it doesn't run, but when it does the voltage on the solenoid drops - like it made a connection.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwpmw View Post
I will be installing a new solenoid this week, next step to check the brushes. Any notes on how to best remove the motor for that?

Also, does the solenoid provide any power to the controller and motor? I get voltage to the solenoid when it doesn't run, but when it does the voltage on the solenoid drops - like it made a connection.
have you load tested the batteries? if not load test each one i don,t think your voltage should be dropping at solenoid and it only takes one battery to act up............as for motor its simple but heavy just be careful......i would load test batteries 1st then solenoid and if you have to pull motor..........something tells me you won,t have to.......................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car