lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default Torque motors for series 48volt CC DS

Like a lot of guys, I want the most torque that's offered for my cart. It has 22" tires and I use it for hunting and towing a 6x10 trailer loaded with fire wood. I'm not concerned with speed, only torque. My AXE4865 controller went bad and I'm replacing it with the Alltrax SR-48600. I've run my old motor hot a few times and submerged it in swampy water a few times so I decided to replace it while I'm at it and take better care of it from now on. The existing motor is a GE D395 beast. My question is what are the top 2 or 3 torque motors currently on the market?

According to research, the original GE D395 is not available anymore but it appears it's replaced with an AMD motor? Is AMD a subsidiary of GE now? I'm in contact with Plum Quick about their torque motor (Grizzly II ?) but I haven't seen the specs yet. I've also heard of Admiral and D&D.

My old D395 was 11hp and I'd like at least that but preferably as big as the SR-48600 can take advantage of but I don't know how much that would be. So what is this controller capable of as far as motor hp and are there any torque motors that can match or exceed the Grizzly II? I wish the specs for the Plum Quick motor were posted on the web site but they're not mentioned. I've heard about 12.5 hp and another place I read 14.7 hp? Thanks in advance for any info.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
texan
Gone Wild

Default Re: Torque motors for series 48volt CC DS

Running D&D high torque IQ with 500 XCT, 2 AWG cables.
100% off road. No problems with pulling power.
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Would your motor happen to be the ES-58?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You have a series cart and poster is offering advice on a sepex motor.
You need either Admiral A1, or something series from PQ or D&D
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Ok. I actually have another active thread specifically about the PQ Grizzly vs Black Widow, later to be informed the BW is for EZ-GO 19 spline so now I'm gathering info from PQ specifically for the Grizzly. Every review I've come across is positive but just wanted specs.

I'll be straight, it's tempting to save $200 and go back with the "beast" from AMD. Mine is the GE D395 from back before the GE line of motors was sold to the AMD parent company and it did the job. I'm all about bigger is better (at least in this subject matter) but after PQ told me the Grizzly is 15.5 peak hp, I found the spec sheet on a web site on the AMD beast and the peak is higher and I'm only assuming the sustained numbers are higher but I don't know the sustained numbers for the Grizzly. The beast is supposedly 20 lb lighter so you'd assume there's more winding in the Grizzly that yields more torque. Maybe it's in one regard comparable to how Diesel engines can have less hp but more torque than gas engines? Heat dissipation is also of interest to me. I pull a 5x8 trailer a lot and creep through the woods a lot.

Here is what I found on the AMD 7114 Beast...
7114 - 48V
11.4 HP @ 2300 @ 48V
17 HP @ 48V @ 225 Amps
19 HP @ 48V @ 400 Amps
18 MPH
Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
rco
Not Yet Wild

I have D&D 132 series is there highest torque its has a 1263 500a Curtis controller it will crawl
rco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
SEHunter
Gone Wild

I've had a hard time identifying D&D motors when I check specs on their site because they use a long part number whereas most folks on the forum use shorter model numbers to describe them. For example, I've yet to find "ES-85" but the largest hp motor on their site for a series cart is #170-012-0002 at 10.5 hp.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Dlab
Gone Wild

SEHunter,

I have the same setup as you, but have Alltrax 500 amp controller. The AMD Beast performs beyond the specs you have listed. Mine runs 21-23mph on flat and will pull any hill. Issue is it is actually too fast for in the woods, and doesn't seem to like to crawl around.

GolfCartKing has the best price on that motor btw. $510. Its pretty dang impressive, but a tad too much for my purposes.

I'm personally thinking about contacting D&D for a custom job that will max out at 12-15mph with loads of torque.
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #9
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info. I never clocked my cart but it feels pretty speedy on a paved flat with a fresh charge. I use mine a lot like you. I'm either pulling something or strolling/creeping through the woods. I have a cargo bed and haul deer in it. A friend and me are both about 240lb and we were in it together with a 200lb buck in the back last season. Had to travel about 1 mile thr
Old 10-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #10
SEHunter
Gone Wild

I went ahead and called Robby at Plum Quick. Admittedly I've been leaning towards getting a PQ motor the whole time based on virtually 100% positive experiences reported on BGW forums but always appreciate real life experiences given from others with the other makes of motors. This is another topic but I was impressed to say the very least on how helpful and informative Robby was on the phone. We talked dang near 45 minutes and he gave detailed answers to all my many questions. That pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Based on my answers to his questions on how I use my cart and my desire for a lot of torque and reducing overheating situations, he recommends a "super high torque" motor that would be more torque than the Grizzly II. He said this would be a custom project and he's going to work on details and get back with me. It will be about a 14-17 mph motor with 22" tires. I'm pretty stoked to see what he comes up with. 20 mph is nice but if I'm honest, I rarely go over probably 10-12 mph when on my cart so I'm not really sacrificing much if I think about it. I'll update for those who are interested after more progress is made.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts