lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
pjshane
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Miles per AMP

How much if any does my bigger motor take away from miles per battery charge?I have controller set to top out at 24 mph. Would going slower extend battery life?

How would a gear change affect battery life with the motor not needing to turn so fast? I have plenty of torque right now. I am not looking for more speed per se.

tnx/pjs
pjshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Miles per AMP

Contact D&D for info, so many factors that its almost impossible to tell unless you want to be the guinee pig and start adding and subtracting parts and run detailed amp draws in each case??
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshane View Post
How much if any does my bigger motor take away from miles per battery charge?I have controller set to top out at 24 mph. Would going slower extend battery life?
Lower speeds will give you longer run times.
If your cart runs 32mph at WOT why is it set to 24mph?

Quote:
How would a gear change affect battery life with the motor not needing to turn so fast? I have plenty of torque right now. I am not looking for more speed per se.
IMO if you have tons of torque, 8:1 gears would certainly help run time but you would need an ammeter to tell if you are drawing more amperage at a given speed.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Newest Obsession
Getting Wild

Club Car

Everybodys thinking it, im just sayin it!! director:Shenanigan's on the (Top W.O.T 32 mph):
Newest Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
pjshane
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Lower speeds will give you longer run times.
If your cart runs 32mph at WOT why is it set to 24mph?
1. Speed limit is 25 mph on 90% of our streets in this gated community. Speed limits are vigorously enforced here. Two miles over will get a $75 ticket.

2. Do not want to be recognized by our Security as being in Low Speed Vehicle class which requires a license plate.

3. Wife drives the cart too. [grin]
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
pjshane
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Contact D&D for info, so many factors that its almost impossible to tell unless you want to be the guinee pig and start adding and subtracting parts and run detailed amp draws in each case??
Well, duh! I'll do that. tnx/pjs
Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
1. Speed limit is 25 mph on 90% of our streets in this gated community. Speed limits are vigorously enforced here. Two miles over will get a $75 ticket.

2. Do not want to be recognized by our Security as being in Low Speed Vehicle class which requires a license plate.

3. Wife drives the cart too. [grin]
That all makes sense, who wants a ticket or an accident.
In most of the states a golf cart is limited in speed to 19mph and 20-25mph is the speed range for an LSV. As a general rule, LSV's can be registered and licensed but there is no law that I know of that says you have to. Once it is licensed, like a car, you have to have all of the insurances required to drive on a street.
Local laws are a bit of a dog's breakfast right now with some communities allowing golf carts as LSV's.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Here is the theory for speed vs. distance.

25 MPH = travel 25 miles in 1 hour
12.5 MPH = travel 25 miles in 2 hours
In theory same amount of battery used , same distance traveled, run time extended ,
slightly less battery uses due to the reduced heat displaced at slower speed.

Will U notice the difference (probably not) .
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
That all makes sense, who wants a ticket or an accident.
In most of the states a golf cart is limited in speed to 19mph and 20-25mph is the speed range for an LSV. As a general rule, LSV's can be registered and licensed but there is no law that I know of that says you have to. Once it is licensed, like a car, you have to have all of the insurances required to drive on a street.
Local laws are a bit of a dog's breakfast right now with some communities allowing golf carts as LSV's.
I was told by an EZGO seller that their fastest "chip" limits were set for legal reasons. Per him the cable controlled brakes max speed rating was 19.5 MPH.

In my state (perhaps all states) liability insurance is required (unless you want to run naked) period. Our HO policy will let us get a rider for $15 a year BUT unless you are riding it on your own property or that of a golf course the coverage does not apply.

That means if you are going to run over to the neighbor's place you will assume 100% of all risks. From my experience this week and other posts full coverage is running about $100 per year. In our state use on the roads have a lot of limits and unless the local require it there are no tags but you do have to have your driver licenses and proof of insurance card (for the cart) with you if stopped.

The only way HO policy coverage would be of much vaild is if you only used it for golf and housed it on the course. My aunt died from a fall by a guy in an electric wheel chair inside the nursing home who backed into her.

Carts may be small by they can lead to huge claims against you or your estate.

On the amps per mile question connecting meter will answer that question. Otherwise just a simple temperature gun can tell you your battery cables heat rise or decrease due to speeds. As noted it can be complex to estimate.

Will a gas car burn more gas driving 100 miles at 45 MPH vs 90 MPH?
Gale Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Gale - "Will a gas car burn more gas driving 100 miles at 45 MPH vs 90 MPH?"
Is this a trick ? , I'm going to guess .................................... No !
Do I win ??????
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, bigger motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car