lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
Billycro214
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: RXV or Precedent??

Thanks a ton! This is all really helpful stuff, and is getting my
One step closer to my decision!

Anyone else have input/opinions on the topic?

Precedent vs rxv?
Billycro214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #12
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have one of each, both are great carts and you will enjoy either one. For driving I prefer the suspension and increased range of the AC motor in RXV. You can't tune the RXV yourself but BobBoyce can "tune" it for you (talk to him first about tuning limitations for the model year) but it does have system that's pretty much hands off beyond that. I love the Precedent for playing around with the performance and tuning and customizing. The Precedent works great, is reliable and is much more modification friendly if you're wanting to tinker with the programming, performance and setup. It also has a lot more parts and accessories available than the RXV.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I live in an extremely golf cart friendly city. There are thousands of carts here. RXV's are getting very common because the DC carts can't keep up with them on the hills.
I have one and also a 48v EZGO TXT. The RXV is superior in performance even with just factory "freedom" controller tune. When climbing hills its not even close.
I agree pretty much with what previous posters have said. There is an issue with the controller with tires taller than 20-21 inches. BTW, the cart doesn't need to be lifted to fit 21" tall tires. If you are lifting just for looks or to fit large tires for some reason perhaps you should start a thread asking for members experiences with lifted RXV's.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I live in an extremely golf cart friendly city. There are thousands of carts here.
Peachtree City was WAY out front of the rest of the state, as far as allowing street legal golf carts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #15
Billycro214
Not Yet Wild

That’s great advise! So if I wanted to achieve a “rugged” look I could just do 21” AT or MT tires? And what would the biggest wheel size be? RXVs sit higher than most do stock, correct?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #16
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Wheel size doesn't matter it is the height of the tires that counts. Without lifting the cart 20.5" is the largest height tire you can you.

I run 205/65-10 tires with no lift. Which is at 20.5" height.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #17
Billycro214
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha- so the one I test drove the other day definitely had a drop spindle left, and I thought either 12 or 14’s. it seemed to drive perfectly. Are the issues something that would develop over time, or would it be apparent right from the get go?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #18
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I really don't quite know what your saying but you can run 12" wheels with these carts without lifting. 205/30-12 would work. Now for a 14" wheel I don't know maybe someone will chime in.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #19
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billycro214 View Post
That’s great advise! So if I wanted to achieve a “rugged” look I could just do 21” AT or MT tires? And what would the biggest wheel size be? RXVs sit higher than most do stock, correct?
This is the cart with 225/30-14" tires on it. They are about 20" tall. The wheels are 14" obviously. Currently the cart has 225/40-14" tires on it. These tires are a measured 21" tall. I have seen these carts with 15" wheels on them but I think they are hard to find with the correct bolt pattern. Some auto wheels will fit a golf cart. There have been threads about this over the years.
The size of the wheel is irrelevant. It's the circumference of the tire that is important. To fit these tires on an RXV all that is needed is some trimming of the plastic rear bumper inside the wheel well. Easy to do. This cart has dual action rear springs and you will need these or heavy duty rear springs if you intend to install a rear seat. I've had 500# of humans on the rear seat without issue.
The accumulated wisdom on this forum implies that tires greater than 21" in circumference present problems for the performance and also the health of the controller (RXV). Programing can alleviate this to some extent but this takes specialized software, skills and high level access. Available but not readily.
There are 2 issues with lifting a (any) cart. The taller tires affect final drive ratio. More torque is required to turn the big tires. Usually means a bigger motor, controller and associated support parts. The other issue is reduced stability. Lifting raises the center of gravity. Golf carts are ok at 12-14 mph but raising them up and hitting speeds in the 20's or more can get exciting. Rear seats with weight on them makes it even worse.

Bottom line. RXV's excel at holding speed on inclines relative to most DC carts, modified or otherwise. Lifting them or any cart for that matter requires some research to do it right and safely. IMO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (612.6 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #20
Billycro214
Not Yet Wild

What I was trying to figure out is the issue that the controller has with larger diameter tires. The one I test drove definitely had larger than 21 inch. So I’m wondering what they did to make that work. The problems that the controller will experience with larger diameter tires-is that something that will develop over time, or something you would notice immediately? I’m assuming it would somehow affect the drivability
Of the cart. I can ask the shop that I was at how they pulled off the lift, and made it work, but I just wouldn’t want to build the one I was buying that way if it is a known problem with the controllers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO