lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Drivers Clubs
Drivers Clubs Club Car/Ezgo/Yamaha/etc.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Esky
Not Yet Wild

Default Buying First Electric Cart - General Advice & Recommendations?

Please redirect me if there's already a comprehensive thread on this topic. I searched but couldn't find much.

Here's my scoop:
  • I'm familiar with GCs and pretty handy in general, but have never owned one
  • My course requires electric
  • Terrain is pretty flat...Florida
  • Primary use will be golfing
  • Prefer 4 seater or possibly limo - I have 4 small kids and we will want option to ride up to the clubhouse/pool (possible tow behind option too?)
  • I'd like to do maintenance and minor mods myself (upgrades, etc)
  • Budget is ~3-4k

Thanks in advance.
Esky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Buying First Electric Cart - General Advice & Recommendations?

I’d go for a Club Car. The aluminum frame lasts way longer than the Ezgo and Yamaha frames, especially in these coastal areas. [emoji16]

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
Esky
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the recommendation LukeL. Does $2500 for a 2006 sound right? Anything in particular I should inspect as I look at a few in my area? Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

New batteries? Back seat? Precedent or DS?

Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Esky
Not Yet Wild

Precedent, no back seat, description simply says batteries are “good”, so not sure. 48v with charger.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

The condition of the batteries affects the value a lot. A new set can cost $650, depending on the brand.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Esky
Not Yet Wild

I’m continuing to look for Club Cars, but came across an ‘02 EZ-GO...thoughts?

- 2 month old batteries
- Rear seat
- $2,300
Old 11-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Esky
Not Yet Wild

Hi Everyone...still searching. Came across 2013 EZ-GO RXV for $3850. Lots of extras like battery watering system, rear seat, 1yr old 48v batteries.

If in great condition, any input of quality on this model and price point?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

LukeL is the guy to go to for electric carts or information, he knows his stuff. I'm a gas guy myself, but my thoughts if I were ever to buy an electric cart... (he and I duke this battle out frequently lol) though I do have a quite heavy background in electrical, particularly automotive electrical. (that's my day job). :)

Batteries (even newer batteries) can be complete junk if not maintained. You may be better off with 2 year old batteries that are well maintained than 6 month old batteries that were neglected.

Buying a used golf cart (or car, ATV, anything for that matter) you really have to look closely at the little details and completely ignore anything and everything the seller tells you about it. (rust that's been spraypainted over, corrosion, balooning of batteries, cables/connectors, etc). There's so many dishonest people that sell stuff on craigslist/facebook/etc it's sickening. I know because I buy a lot lol. I bought an ez-go yesterday in fact that "smoked some". pulling it off the trailer and making a quick loop around my back yard COMPLETELY filled the yard with smoke (my back yard is around 2 acres...) yeah, that's not exactly my definition of "smokes some" but I knew better. The seller's story never matches up to what you find when you get it home.

You say you're handy... Electric carts are particularly easy to work on. And there's a wealth of information and helpful people here that are more than willing to help out. My advice would be to find a cheaper one in good condition that you like. Look for frame, body, and steering to be in good shape. Don't really worry about the seats, batteries, etc. You can buy carts for around $1k or less all day long with bad batteries. Then, buy a new set of batteries for it (plan $500-750 depending on what batteries you go with). Maybe an alltrax controller upgrade, wire upgrade, watering system, lift, wheels/tires, maybe a plum quick or D&D motor, rear seat, lights, etc. Build it the way you want it to be. When you're done it will still be that $3-4k mark you're looking to spend, but it will be built the way YOU want it, and you know it's all brand new parts. Plus the benefit of doing this is you learn all the in's and out's of YOUR cart so if something ever does go wrong, it's not like looking at a complete mystery.

Club car has aluminum frame, so wouldn't have to worry about rust. But EZ-GO has the widest seats. I could fit myself, my wife and the 2 little boys in the front seat (3 and 5), and have 3 kids in the rear facing seat of my TXT comfortably. I would get a Yamaha, EZGO, or Club Car. Anything else will be much harder to find parts for.

Just my .02
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also, you may get more response if you move this to the "member's rides" or one of the other sections.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Drivers Clubs