lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Default V-glide Troubleshooting

(First poster - be gentle!). My 2000+ DS 48v clubcar - has been working great, fairly new batteries. Recently it decided to "stall" after about 5 minutes of use. I could coast to a stop, either throw the F/R switch, or just cuss a little and it immediately came right back up and gets me home. I went over everything, was convinced I'd need a new controller ($$$), but then found a frayed wire on the vglide wiper arm - fixed that and cart has been fine for weeks. Until yesterday, stalling again. Since the failure mode is the same, I still suspect the vglide and wonder what else to try. Can someone explain what that microswitch does?
Please note in the past I have cleaned up the pads in the vglide and they seem good right now. Thanks for your help. If you recognize this "stalling" issue, I'm all ears!
chadster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: V-glide Troubleshooting

If the cart is cutting out then the micro switch may becoming intermittent. There is another one on the F&R switch (the 1 closest to the front of the cart). Both these small switches need to be closed to activate the solenoid and provide power to the controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Thanks - will check that out.
1. Is it possible to buy replacement microswitches without replacing the whole component?
2. I have a "rocker" type F/R switch, I didn't think there was a microswitch in there (?). or did I miss something.
3. For what it's worth, I saw another guy's posting with a photo of his vglide and there is a cotter pin on that rocker arm shaft. I don't seem to have a cotter pin on mine - will be checking that out too.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For a rocker type micro switch the 2nd switch is in the MCOR throttle signal device. That one you get to buy a new MCOR to replace the switch but the one in the V-glide can be had at any golf cart dealer/shop/store
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty -
I've got the v-glide out and checking it out. BTW, I don't have an MCOR (DS year 2000+).

As long as you're responding, can you tell me anything about Controller failure?
As I mentioned the cart runs fine, then suddenly quits, then starts right back up. Intermittents are hard to chase down. But I'd like to stop worrying about that expensive controller.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The V-glide you are referring to is a multi-step potentiometer. And the cart you describe sounds like a Regen 2 cart and was the predecessor to the IQ carts that started in or around '02.

If it is a Regen 2 cart (Power Drive Plus), here is the electrical diagram for it. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post291982 and click on post #7

The Regen 1's were an issue from the get-go and were very problematic (and had a T-type controller). The Regen 2 carts were a little better, but still had issues. The controller in that cart is no longer made (although Alltrax is currently testing some for release) and other than that, you have to change over to an IQ wiring harness and run an IQ controller. David Hicks (Site Sponsor has the set up) https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/store and he is also working with Alltrax on the new controller to be Plug and Play for the Regen 2 carts
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tip brother, I appreciate your input - agreed, that is my schematic - I also posted it below.
My serial number starts A0041-9..., which is 2000+ version of DS "Power Drive Plus"; they implemented some mods, pre-IQ as you said.

I can investigate that conversion option although I'm kinda stuck - I'm close to selling the cart - need to move, etc. Would rather not have to sink a lot of $ to get it working properly. Hoping it was a quicker fix like the v-drive. If wishes were fishes... Making progress anyway. Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my wiring.jpg (386.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Only 2 things I can think of outside of what you are doing is check each resistor on the back side of the potentiometer (I have had them break before and then have intermittent contact). If no problem, then move to the solenoid and see if it is dropping out when it gets hot or losing an input signal while you are moving (loose connection or faulty circuit).....
Old 05-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Thanks - I have the resistors exposed, checking them out...
Also - I swapped the two solenoids last week to see if the failure mode changed (it didn't), so I conclude the solenoids are ok but maybe losing the input signal as you said.

Are you saying you doubt it's the controller unit?
Old 05-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

No, it could be a controller issue, just trying to rule out any other possibilities....

Tags
v-glide
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car