lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
snake91876
Getting Wild

Default 1993 marathon solenoid clicking cart wont go

93 marathon wont go but clicks at microswitch and solenoid. I have 35.8 volts at solenoid and without mashing pedal i have 32 on controller side of solenoid. B plus on controller has the same 32 volts going to a2 on motor. the selector wires on motor s1 and s2 all have 32 until i mash the gas full on and i have the 35.8. what is going on here i just acquired this junk from a friend. i jacked up the cart and wont turn the wheels at all.
snake91876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
snake91876
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1993 marathon solenoid clicking cart wont go

solenoid is passing the 35.8 volts when gas is pressed
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake91876 View Post
solenoid is passing the 35.8 volts when gas is pressed
You have to test the solenoid with the resistor removed to be sure of that.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
snake91876
Getting Wild

i test b + to the m- on the controller in forward with key switch on and depress pedal and have no voltage , is this a bad controller.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
snake91876
Getting Wild

one more thing i built a new battery frame and when i reset the potentiometer in cart it wouldnt engage microswitch so i moved the vertical linkage rod to where the microswitch is hit just as the pedal goes down. could i have this so far out of range that it wont let any voltage through the controller. Cart was running two months ago before i rebuilt battery tray.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake91876 View Post
one more thing i built a new battery frame and when i reset the potentiometer in cart it wouldnt engage microswitch so i moved the vertical linkage rod to where the microswitch is hit just as the pedal goes down. could i have this so far out of range that it wont let any voltage through the controller. Cart was running two months ago before i rebuilt battery tray.
You might be saying this in different words, but the lever on the microswitch is pushed in when the pedal is up, opening the NC contacts.
When the pedal is pushed, the lever is released and a spring inside the microswitch closes the NC contacts, thereby completing the solenoid activation circuit.
Sounds like the solenoid is closing, so the microswitch adjustment is at least in the ballpark.

Instead of going from B+ to M-, try going from B- to M-. That puts your DVM directly across the MOSFETs inside the controller and only the MOSFETs.

When the solenoid first clicks, you should be reading full battery pack voltage.
IF not, there is something wrong with the high current cables, main solenoid contacts, F/R switch or motor winding.

If so, the reading should decrease to almost zero as the pedal is pushed to floor.

If that doesn't happen, check for battery voltage at push-on terminal on controller with blue wire on it.
That's what turns the controller on. It should be there whenever key is on and F/R is in either F or R.

If that is good, pull the black and white wires on the other two push-on terminals on the controller and measure the Ohms as the pedal is pushed.

I'm not sure if it will be 0-5K or 5K-0, but it ought to vary in that general resistance range.

If all of the above checks out, you've pretty much eliminated everything except the controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
snake91876
Getting Wild

So i need to check m- to battery negative , let me make sure that I'm right
M- will be the terminal on controller going to bottom lug on fnr switch
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If your cart is wired like this, I think so.
Here is the terminal layout for a Curtis 1204 controller. I think that is what you've got. But I might be wrong.

Whatever it is, M- and B- should be labeled on the controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PotBoxcartwiringdiagram.jpg (110.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Curtis 1204 controller.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In your first post you stated that you are reading 35.8V at the solenoid. The batteries are dead, or nearly so! Here's a chart for state of charge and specific gravity readings. You may have one or more bad batteries also. I would start by charging the batteries!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
In your first post you stated that you are reading 35.8V at the solenoid. The batteries are dead, or nearly so! ............
OOOOPS - I missed that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO