lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default King pin sleeve replacement

I needed to replace king pin “sleeves” in my 1012 ezgo txt.loose steering.
Most difficult part was separating tie rods and steering arm joints from spindle.

Regular tie rod pickle fork used for cars was too wide. It would just spread out and damage tie rod end if used. heat was not an option since tie rod ends were good and I wanted to reuse them.

So I purchased a tie rod puller ( looks like small gear puller). Same problem, puller was too wide to get firm grip on control arm to separate joint since control arm smaller then automobile arm.

Time to infermize. I put puller in a vise to compress ends of puller, And with aide of torch compressed opening of puller from 1” down to 3/4”. Let cool slowly so it retained new dimension. Now it fit carts control arm. Bingo pulled tie rod end and steering rack ends right off.

Not aware of a tool made for doing this on golf carts so made one.

If anyone has a need for this tool I Will happily pass it on to anyone needed to replace tie rod ends or steering rod ends.
Just ask you pass it onto next person in need of tool.

Pressing new sleeves were pretty straight forward. No resizing of sleeves once installed and now tight with no slop.👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2022, 08:41 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: King pin sleeve replacement

Nicely done! I've been contemplating pulling my king pins to see if there is a sleeve to replace in my 2011. But I guess there is based on your post and in the next X many years when I get around to it I'll have a plan for how to mod the puller.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #3
Sideways
Gone Wild

I probably have to do this on my Medalist as well, thanks for the tip!
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Another option I found that worked is to cut a 2x4 to support the arm, thread the nut on just far enough to cover and protect the threads and wack it with a brass hammer. Popped right out.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
MacGyverr
Getting Wild

I've removed many tie rod ends from all types of vehicles. All you need to do to remove it is hit the housing around it, not the threads, with a hammer, sounds primitive but it's a normal procedure. It's a tapered fit the shock breaks it loose. It only takes one or two blows to remove it.
MacGyverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:45 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Anyone that needs the puller is more then welcome to it. When done just pass it on to whomever else may need it.

I to when an auto tech either used a pickle fork or hammer whack.
This baby was not coming off hence model puller.
Problem was puller designed for fatter spindles unlike narrow one found on carts.
Reason to “narrow” it’s gripping surface.

Heat was not an option since it would have damaged rubber boot that holds grease In. Puller was next option.

King pin sleeves were not too bad to remove. I turned down a piece of brass stock to fit ( .495 “) inside diameter of sleeve to drive it out and drive new sleeve in.

Bit of never seize on new sleeve they go in pretty easy.
Just make sure king pin bolt is in good shape and not rusted or just replace with new 1/2” bolt.
Shim top or bottom of king pin so it fits snug on axle, torge realign and go.

Toe adjustment now stays consident 😊
Old 01-31-2022, 08:29 PM   #7
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hint when replacing sleeves.
The spindles have a bushing at the top and Bottom that holds the sleeve in spindle.
It’s the rust that forms in spindle between these two bushings that rust the sleeve that makes sleeve them difficult to remove.
Pack the spindles with grease before installing new sleeves so if they ever need to be replaced again they will slide out easily.
Thick shim goes on top of spindle when reinstalling. This shim should have been factory installed. Hth 😊
Old 03-13-2022, 02:29 PM   #8
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Anyone that needs the puller is more then welcome to it. When done just pass it on to whomever else may need it.

I to when an auto tech either used a pickle fork or hammer whack.
This baby was not coming off hence model puller.
Problem was puller designed for fatter spindles unlike narrow one found on carts.
Reason to “narrow” it’s gripping surface.

Heat was not an option since it would have damaged rubber boot that holds grease In. Puller was next option.

King pin sleeves were not too bad to remove. I turned down a piece of brass stock to fit ( .495 “) inside diameter of sleeve to drive it out and drive new sleeve in.

Bit of never seize on new sleeve they go in pretty easy.
Just make sure king pin bolt is in good shape and not rusted or just replace with new 1/2” bolt.
Shim top or bottom of king pin so it fits snug on axle, torge realign and go.

Toe adjustment now stays consident 😊
Going to take on this job soon. Is the puller still available? THANKS!
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:45 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Roger, sure.
If you need the drift punch to drive them out or tie rod separator you are welcome to them. Let me know.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've removed both king pins on my RXV, they came out very easy. No special tools were needed
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO