lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2022, 11:25 AM   #1
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Another battery/charger question

Two questions:

1) Is it normal for battery readings to be slightly lower during cold weather? I've got four 12v Trojan's in my RXV and they are one year old. Before the cold hit, the pack would read 50.9 after fully charged and ~ 12 hour rest. Each battery would read 12.7. Now that the cold has hit I'm getting ~ 50.6 - 50.7 for the pack and 12.6 for each battery.

2) I have a MODZ MAX 15 amp charger. It is supposed have an automatic shutoff and recharge feature. It does automatically shutoff after a full charge. However, I have yet to see it automatically recharge. Does the pack have to drop to a certain level before chargers like this automatically kick back on to recharge? Or could this be a sensor issue? I've seen the pack drop as low as 50v without recharging.
VEXING is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Another battery/charger question

Battery voltage will be lower in cold weather. The internal resistance is also higher so you get less performance and range in cold weather. I don't know about the behavior of the MODZ charger though.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:12 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

1. Yes. Lead-acid batteries have a slightly lower At-Rest voltage when cooler. They also have less storage capacity when cooler, but age slower also. Attached is a chart showing those factors. (Green text at bottom is At-Rest voltage)

2. The following is a cut and paste fro the MADZ MAX48 15 owner's manual.
The MODZ® Max battery charger includes innovative, plug and forget smart float technology allowing you to plug in your golf cart and leave it plugged in without fear of damaging your batteries over extended periods of time

Not sure what "smart float technology" means, but if it goes into a float charge mode after the normal charging cycle ends, then it ought to keep the pack voltage somewhere between the nominal At-Rest voltage (50.9V) and the gassing voltage (56.4V). Trojan recommends 54V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temperature vs storage capacity and lifespan.jpg (116.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #4
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great info. Thank you. I parked it for winter after Halloween and then went to move it about a month later and the pack had dropped to about 49.5v. Which made me wonder at what point is this thing going to recharge? I thought it was defective so I sent it back and got a replacement. After reading through here, starting to think I should've gone the Lester route.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:28 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

FWIW I charge my batteries during the off season every 2 to 3 weeks.
Rather not wait till charger turns on at 49 volts.
And yes voltage after charge is slightly less then what it is during summer months by A. Couple 10th’s a volt after rest.
Cart stored in my garage at 60* average temps.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:04 AM   #6
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That's kind of what I'm trying to understand with these "plug and forget" chargers. Do they recharge once voltage drops to a certain level? Or after a certain number of days? I've yet to see mine recharge automatically, even though it's supposed to.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEXING View Post
That's kind of what I'm trying to understand with these "plug and forget" chargers. Do they recharge once voltage drops to a certain level? Or after a certain number of days? I've yet to see mine recharge automatically, even though it's supposed to.
My DPI says it will start a new recharge cycle every 45 days or if the voltage drops to a set level it will recharge before the 45 days. The manual doesn't specify the voltage for an automatic recharge start. This is a Gen IV charger. I think the older ones kept the batteries charging at a low rate after the charge cycle completed. My guess is energy efficiency standards forced them to change. The Modz probably uses a similar program.

I've never seem mine start recharging but once it finishes charging there isn't anything to indicate that it did.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:58 AM   #8
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. Thanks. That is helpful to know.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngilliland View Post
My DPI says it will start a new recharge cycle every 45 days or if the voltage drops to a set level it will recharge before the 45 days. The manual doesn't specify the voltage for an automatic recharge start. This is a Gen IV charger. I think the older ones kept the batteries charging at a low rate after the charge cycle completed. My guess is energy efficiency standards forced them to change. The Modz probably uses a similar program.

I've never seem mine start recharging but once it finishes charging there isn't anything to indicate that it did.
Specifically the the draconian environmental regulations of the Republik of Kalifornia.

My DPI Accusense Gen-III goes into float charge mode immediately after the normal charge cycle terminates and initiates a new charge cycle every 28 days when left plugged in for extended lengths of time.

My batteries are 9.2 years old. Showing their age, but still usable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

The theory may say one thing, but in practice my Trojan T125 pack of 8 x 6 volt batteries has a stabilized full charge voltage of about 52.0 volt at 30 C (86 F) or at 0 C (32 F).

My fully charged pack will actually increase in voltage (to about 52.3 volts) when the electrolyte level gets low and the acid is more concentrated.
ThreeCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO