lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
sallphin
Not Yet Wild

I have this ignition module and no clue where it goes. Can you send me close up shots of yours?
sallphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #22
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Retrofit Points to Electronic Ignition?

My newest cart is an 82 but I believe an 88 is the same basic engine. Here is a shot of mine with the screen and cover off. I believe the module goes in the center of the fan which is where the points and condenser is in mine. I think on an 88 the oil pump was mounted on the cover if its still there.

73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #23
sallphin
Not Yet Wild

Awesome thank you.
sallphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #24
mfarberg
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Retrofit Points to Electronic Ignition?

I just added this to my 64 cart, problem is it only sparks we you let go of the ignition switch (aka the gas pedal), any clues on what could be the issue. I have gone over the diagram a dozen times and it would appear i did it just right
mfarberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #25
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Let it rest for a while then check again. Something is not hooked up right1
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #26
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

You basically get one spark when you take your foot off the pedal? And you used 'my' HEI system? If so that makes me think that the little transistor is not doing its thing. The transistor basically inverts the signal from the points. My brain is not working at the moment but I think normally points fire the coil when they open. THe module is just expecting a pulse (usually from a magnetic pickup) to tell it to fire. It could be that you have something screwed up or bad so its not actually seeing the pulses so the only pulse the coil sees is the one when you turn the power off.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #27
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73eldo View Post
I did the HEI conversion. It still uses the points to trigger but you don't need the condenser and the gap really does not matter. Also there is very little power actually being switched so there is no arcing to wear them.

Here is the basic diagram I used:

I have always meant to make em more pretty but have never quite got around to it. I'm thinking its been 3 or 4 years now that I have not even had to think about points. They seem to start much easier and run better. I have not even looked at the spark plugs in 3 or 4 years. I used to have to tinker with points a couple times a season and clean or replace the plugs seasonally. Gas, battery, clean air filter is all I have had to do lately.

73eldo, I'm going to try and tackle this option using the green led for setting up points.

Here's my dilemma - R3 requires 20k ohm 1/4 watt resistor. When ordering from a site, I couldn't buy 20k. I picked up a pack of 18k and a pack of 22k. Both of these are 1/4watt. Can I use either one of these as a alternative??

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Wrangler
WranglerSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #28
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Hopefully Eldo will chime in soon but I bet you'll be fine.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:08 PM   #29
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

A quick question that anyone can answer. When I look at rhe diagrams, it's showing a power from ignition switch, which is actually power through the pedal switch as well. But I have two wires on the one side of my coil. They're both blue wires (if that matters) and the one runs over to the switch operated by the pedal, the other runs to the solenoid at rhe back by the battery.

With switch on and pedal depressed, one lights up (assuming the wire from switch to pedal). The other is dead. Connect together and it rolls engine over when pedal depressed.

My question, in the retrofit - why do I only see a single wire on the photo coming from each coil post? Do most people just splice together?

Thanks
WranglerSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:26 AM   #30
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I just realized that we in an old thread and that there is some newer information out there. Check this out:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=124530

There are wiring diagrams and such there. That thread is in the Columbia section but it 100% applies to HDs too.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson