lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Dave292t
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 ParCar will not switch to fast mode

I have a 2010 Columbia Summit parcar. I can not get the cart to run in the fast mode. When i put the switch in the rabbit icon (fast) the green led light does not come on. The 12V power outlet is not working either. I dont know if they have any realationship to my problem? Thanks for any help.
Dave292t is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: 2010 ParCar will not switch to fast mode

VIN? Does your car have a speed encoder ont he end of the drive motor? If that goes bad, you default to about half speed.

Also, if the linkage at the pedal to the LAD is off, it won't know you're supposed to be going any faster.

Or, make sure your battery pack is well over the 48volts too.

The 12V outlet could just be a fuse back to the pack, or to a distribution block of you have one. The wire for that outlet has an inline fuse.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Dave292t
Not Yet Wild

VIN is 5FCLS56A5A1001716

I fixed the 12v power outlet. I also checked the Lad. It seems to be adjusted correct. When the pedal is on the floor, the Lad is fully deployed. Battery is fully charged. I dont know if i have a speed encoder. The cart runs exactly 20 MPH. In fast mode It should run 25 MPH. Some one told me that it could be something to do with programing the controler. Does this sound right?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

I checked you VIN. Your controller, serial 2009125378 is programmed for top speed of 25. You have a 500 amp upgrade, which also means you do have the speed encoder. It's the little round plastic cap on the end of the motor with three wires on it. If you look between the rear drivers side wheel and the motor, you will see the encoder. Most likely it has failed, the connector has failed, or the magnet underneath the encoder has come loose (it's held in place with a set screw).

Only way to test the encoder is with a handheld calibrator which only dealers have, or to guess and replace it. If you have a buddy with one you could do a quick swap. The encoder itself is only held on by two small torx screws.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Dave292t
Not Yet Wild

I removed the encoder, it looks brand new. I know that means nothing with parts that have wires that come out of them. I could not find the magnet, or even a place for a set screw. Is the magnet in the motor or on the encoder? Under the driver seat area, I also found a yellow wire that has a 1 amp fuse that is not hooked up. There is a number on the wire that reads. 759911-03. I dont know if this has anything to do with my problem, but this wire was next to the wire I found off that fixed my 12v power outlet. Thanks so much for your help. I really feel i am on the right track to getting my cart running fast. Just to let you know the cart was in this condition when i got it. It did not just stop working.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The magnet is screwed into the motor armature.

Attached a wiring diagram of the wire harness you have. The 1A fuse would go for the back up light relay which is screwed to the post on the driver's side, behind the battery pack. Won't affect the speed of the unit though.

The quick check on the encoder without any tools, is to recheck speeds.

On a normal vehicle, the top speed is set to 100% max in reverse and 30% max in reverse. If the encoder fails, the unit will default both to 50%. That means that forward now goes 50% of max capability, but then so does reverse. So check your speed and if forward and reverse are about the same speed, the encoder failed.

You can get a new one from Van Wall who was the dealer who originally purchased the unit from us at the factory. The part number is 74884-04 with a list price of $99.24.

Good luck, let me know what you come up with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 759911-03.pdf (31.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Dave292t
Not Yet Wild

I think i know what you meant. You said "On a normal vehicle, the top speed is set to 100% max in reverse and 30% max in reverse." In FWD it still runs 20 MPH exactly and runs 9 MPH in reverse. Does this mean the encoder is good? The yellow wire fixed the back up lights. Thanks again. I have fixed something with my cart everytime i have chatted with you.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The only tests left now would involve use of a diagnostic handheld calibrator that only dealers have. It will read what the controller sees. If you go in, they would first check location 19.01 and make sure you have 100% pedal push. If not, would adjust the linkage or LAD position. Then check location 14.01 which is the speed estimate and actually reads the encoder signal. If there's an increasing signal, then the encoder would be good. My bet is now on the pedal push being off.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Dave292t
Not Yet Wild

checked the pedal push for the LAD again. all seems good. Is it possible that the speed controler is programed to slow speed only?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

I verified what the database says and it should go 25. How are you checking LAD pedal push? Without a handset you can't except for appearance. Other possibility is if someone reprogrammed it after it left the factory.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar