lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2022, 12:17 PM   #1
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 12V lighting/horn/etc troubleshooting

I decided to start a separate thread for my newly-acquired '96 Club Car 48V Series drive. None of the lights work on the cart. The horn made a weak little squeak attempt sometimes...LOL. I found a receipt of some work done by a local shop that installed all the 12V stuff a couple of years ago. The harness indeed looks recent.

Here's the thing...
The power wire to the system was on the #5 (+) post, so it was feeding 18V+ when charged. I also found the ground wire in the harness, but found no place where the ground wire actually goes to ground or the (-) post. Not saying the system isn't grounded somewhere, just that I didn't see it (maybe on the frame somewhere?). There was another wire on the #6 (+) that was feeding 8V to a relay by the brake switch under the cart.

What I did:
I got a 48-12V reducer and wired it in directly to the pack #1 post and to the 12V feed for the lighting system. I also tapped the ground wire in the harness and connected it to the "OBC bypass" ground wire to batt (-). I know it's a good ground now, because I tapped the same harness ground up in the dash for the new SOC gauge, and it lights up and shows full charge.

I tested again. None of the lights work (properly), no headlights. The front marker lights come on when you pull the hazard flasher switch and hit the horn button (you can hear a relay, but no horn. This thing is a mess. Do y'all think something got fried from 18V? I'm thinking it's time to find a wiring diagram and check or re-wire the whole harness. I have no idea what brand the kit on it is...but for the most part the switches are on the column stalk. Otherwise it's a headlight pull-switch on the dash, and brake switch underneath.
grtskydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car