lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
jskingry
Not Yet Wild

Default 36V EZGO TXT Speed Improvements

Ok,

I am sure there is a thread about this somewhere but I have not found anything clear yet. I have browsed CartsUnlimited and read through the site, looks like I have several options and was wondering if I could get some real world experience.
My cart is a series motor so there does not appear to be a quick fix. Below are the options I am seeing. Additionally I have a 6" lift of the cart with 23" tires and drive in Florida so flat ground.

1. Upgrade controller to 400-500amp (400 should be plenty I am in Florida)
- Does this require any other upgrades or is the controller fine?
- Is this considered a step 1 precursor to upgrading the motor?
- Will this burn up the stock motor?
- Is there a speed increase with just a controller upgrade?
2. Upgrade controller and motor. This is a pretty pricey upgrade, what can I expect and what are good models?
3. Add 2 batteries to the storage in the rear and upgrade to 48V
- Can I do this with the stock motor?
- Can upgrade 1 or 2 at 36V still be leveraged with 48? Meaning can a controller work for both 36 and 48V?

Thanks everyone, just links to threads covering this already is greatly appreciated.
jskingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 36V EZGO TXT Speed Improvements

Get 33% more of everything going to 48volts. Controller, Solenoid & charger will need to be upgraded. Your motor will actually run better on 48 volts. If your batteries have age, you can get 6 x 8 volts to put in same spot as the 6 x 6volts. Look at Scottyb's replies, he just posted answers to your questions to someone else the other day.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
jskingry
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Get 33% more of everything going to 48volts. Controller, Solenoid & charger will need to be upgraded. Your motor will actually run better on 48 volts. If your batteries have age, you can get 6 x 8 volts to put in same spot as the 6 x 6volts. Look at Scottyb's replies, he just posted answers to your questions to someone else the other day.
Thanks Bama Brad, my batteries are only a year old so I would probably get two more instead of replacing the entire bunch.

So that's about a $1,000 investment, not bad for the performance increase and I assume I could later upgrade motors with this setup for even more assuming I choose a large enough controller up front to feed a stronger motor later on.
jskingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:04 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskingry View Post
Ok,

I am sure there is a thread about this somewhere but I have not found anything clear yet. I have browsed CartsUnlimited and read through the site, looks like I have several options and was wondering if I could get some real world experience.
My cart is a series motor so there does not appear to be a quick fix. Below are the options I am seeing. Additionally I have a 6" lift of the cart with 23" tires and drive in Florida so flat ground.

1. Upgrade controller to 400-500amp (400 should be plenty I am in Florida)
- Does this require any other upgrades or is the controller fine?
- Is this considered a step 1 precursor to upgrading the motor?
- Will this burn up the stock motor?
- Is there a speed increase with just a controller upgrade?
2. Upgrade controller and motor. This is a pretty pricey upgrade, what can I expect and what are good models?
3. Add 2 batteries to the storage in the rear and upgrade to 48V
- Can I do this with the stock motor?
- Can upgrade 1 or 2 at 36V still be leveraged with 48? Meaning can a controller work for both 36 and 48V?

Thanks everyone, just links to threads covering this already is greatly appreciated.
once upon a time I was in the same boat as you.....and I too have a series cart.

think of your future too.....

#1. I recommend a 500a controller.....better to have a bit more than you truly need than end up needing/wanting more and not having it. (YES Alltrax controllers can be ran with either 36v or 48v)

#2. in addition to the controller, you will need a bigger solenoid and a HD F&R switch....AND a complete 2ga. cable set.

#3. Its highly recommended to jump to 48v. go with 6-8v and will sit in the same battery box. as noted above this will give you a 33% bump in both speed and torque.

#4. your stock motor will work fine at 48v with no issues.

#5. if once you have upgraded the drive system and you still want more speed....THEN you can get a high speed motor.

you can see in my sig my set up and what it got me.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #5
cbdeese61
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 2003 TXT series and went to 48 volt. You will be glad you did. I also went with an Alltrax SR48500 controller and HD solenoid and Plum Quick Demon motor. Now goes about 32 mph with plenty of torque for any hills I come across. You may also want to look into changing over to a reversing contactor.....that was one of the best things I have done. Before I changed motors the stock motor on 48 volts really came to life too but certainly nothing like the PQ.
cbdeese61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

All of this depends on what your goals are. What do you want from your cart? If you want 50mph you are not going to get there on 48v lead acid. But you can get there. Assuming you want upper 20's to lower 30's I'd do the upgrades in this order:

First step is the controller. As Sir Nuke said, it'll run fine on your current 36V pack or a 42v pack or a 48v pack. You can get the combo with the HD solenoid from ScottyB.

Does this grant you the performance you want? If not then:
Upgrade to 42v or 48v. You'll need a new HD solenoid if you didn't get it already, new heavy cables (all of them including the ones to the motor) and new charger. If you are keeping your current 6v batteries then you can often put one extra battery under the front seat with the other batteries or put two extra batteries in the bagwell. FAT, high quality, high current cables do make a difference.

Does this grant you the performance you want? If not then:
Upgrade the motor to a high speed motor

Does this grant you the performance you want? If not then it gets more expensive. Lithium gives you a higher voltage still which will increase speed and with the reduced weight you will have far better acceleration but the cart will be lighter so towing will be harder and it'll likely feel less stable at top speed. You can increase the V of the lead acid pack. Most people going past 48v who decide to stay with lead acid go to 72V. You can put in an AC Drive system.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO