lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #1
Ernest T
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Yamaha G29 Gas Buying Advice?

I'm looking at a 2020 Yamaha G29 with an 11.4 HP gas engine. What are things I should be looking at with this cart? Known problems, etc.. Also wondering what a reasonable price range for this cart would be. The cart has 12" mag wheels, the rear seat kit, LED lights, windshield, and the seats have recently been recovered.
Everything else looks standard.

Thanks!
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 2010 Yamaha G29 Gas Buying Advice?

Is it a 2020? or 2010?

Yamaha's, in my opinion, are the best built carts made. Condition is everything, so buy the best condition cart you can afford.

Prices....yeah prices are all over the board in this crazy market right now. Most people know about the increased demand lately, this will drive prices up. However, most people over value their carts. It's hard to pin down a price because it's so different from one geographic market to another. Around NE Ohio a 10 year old cart in good condition with lift kit and tires/rims will bring around $5500. That will fluctuate depending upon condition and options.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:48 PM   #3
Ernest T
Not Yet Wild

Yea its a 2010.

Appears to be in very good condition. Paint looks almost new, with no scratches, dents, etc.. I couldn't find any rust, mold, or other problems. Owner also told me it has a new clutch and belt. When I test drove it, it seemed to really take off with a little gas, which made for some jumpy starts. I suspect this will smooth out over time?

Asking price is $6000. I've been shopping for carts since January. Almost impossible to find a cart in running condition in my area for under $5000, so this one caught my eye. Very few Yamaha gas carts in my area. I was pretty much set on getting a Club Car until I saw this one.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:11 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it’s jumpy and has a new clutch on it, they probably used a cheap aftermarket one.

You can get a performance setup from plowmans that will make that cart absolutely rock for about 600 bucks if I remember correctly. It would come with both new clutches, belt, and other stuff.

I do remember something about certain year carts having a more or a less desirable axle, depending on what color tag is on it. I don’t know if it applies to the 2010 or not but it’s worth searching a bit about it

The biggest benefit to a Yamaha is for performance you’ve got plowmans that can make them do pretty much anything you want them to.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:15 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=132236

I haven’t seen him around here in a while, but I’d trust cgtech’s advice regarding the axle. Apparently any color other than white is good.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:40 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The 2007-2014 yamaha used the so so team axle. If I were to buy a newer yamaha I would avoid those years all together. Putting the brakes inside the rear differential wasn't such a good idea. No matter what the residue from the brakes mixing with gears and bearings isn't a good idea.Of course the more often the rear fluid was changed the better. And again there was a special fluid for this that cost about $30 for a change. I did one here and 2 things were obvious 1) The fluid was really dirty 2) They didn't use the proper fluid. So far that cart is still working fine BUT I doubt it gets driven 50 miles a year. P.S. Maybe Smallblock will chime in here with more detailed info.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:42 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The other issue there is even if the rear is properly maintained when the friction material is worn out in the system resulting in poor braking, the labor and parts to redo the braking system come to nearly what a new rear costs.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
Ernest T
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the replies. I looked, but could not find any tag on the axle. Maybe not looking in the right place? Anyhow, everything else looked OK, so I bought it.

Wondering now if I should go ahead and change out the rear differential fluid, or is this even something I could do myself? How often should it be changed?

I've been running it for a couple of days and the jumpy starts have disappeared. Seems to run pretty good, but top speed is only around 12-13 mph. Is there any simple way to get a couple more mph out of it without harming the engine?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-15-2022, 08:09 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I looked, but could not find any tag on the axle. Maybe not looking in the right place? Anyhow, everything else looked OK, so I bought it.

Wondering now if I should go ahead and change out the rear differential fluid, or is this even something I could do myself? How often should it be changed?

I've been running it for a couple of days and the jumpy starts have disappeared. Seems to run pretty good, but top speed is only around 12-13 mph. Is there any simple way to get a couple more mph out of it without harming the engine?

Thanks for the help!!
Definitely do all the regular maintenance. I recommend getting a factory service manual, it will have every spec you need to know and all the procedures, worth the money IMO.

12-13 mph sounds like factory spec governed speed. Yes, you can crank up the governor to get more speed, prob around 18-19 mph without a tire change, that's about it in stock form. With larger tires you can achieve 22-25 mph. Any faster than that and you'll wish you had better brakes lol.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Www.plowmanscarts.com

Give Don a call. He’ll wake that cart up

Definitely change the rear end oil. Keep an eye out for excessive glitter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha