lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Lithium performance

Just curious how different carts/setups/battery packs compare real world. We all know specs on paper don’t always translate to what happens on the pavement (or in the woods) so thought it might be fun to try and start a thread where we can compare readings.

If you’d like to participate, please post model/year/drive system of your cart. Battery pack, tire size, and speed. To keep it fair for anyone where there’s no hills (Tom) flat ground, and pavement for consistency.

Not scientific, just for fun :) I’m basing a couple runs from standing stop, to pedal to the floor and to cruising at speed, based on my renogy meter. I like how it can display current consumption but if you don’t have that, a fluke will do.

My cart is a 2008 DS. IQ drive system. Completely stock except for a speed magnet from revolution. 205/50-10 tires. Allied 48v batteries (x3) for 90aH. These 2 runs I got to 25mph which is about top speed for me flat pavement, with 3 kids in the cart plus myself playing around in my neighborhood.

Lowest voltage under load was about 50.5 for a short second and then it climbed back up. Max amperage draw was around 120A. I usually see around 50 amps while cruising full pedal. I charged the batteries last night, this was about 2 miles or so into our ride today. ~70 degrees and beautiful. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHWCYApIP_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPCf2KWucQ

I had no idea my pedal squeaked until these videos I don’t notice it, microphone must really pick that up. But now it’s gonna bug me so I’ll have to do something about that
I’d be really curious to compare with some of you other folks
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2022, 07:11 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium performance

My pedals squeak too.
Some are louder than others. Usually when I stop and then go again is when it squeaks.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah the squeak is gonna bug me. now that I know it’s there… nothing a little graphite or something shouldn’t be able to fix.

I’d really be curious to see if anyone else has something To add, how different motor/controller combos affect current draw, range, and voltage drop under load.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I have to think it might get better attention if it was in the Lithium section where those guys hang out more.
Sorry I don't have anything useful for info. Cart usage for my fleet is all over the place, and I don't have any solid data that I could add other than lead batteries are heavy.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:06 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I have to think it might get better attention if it was in the Lithium section where those guys hang out more.
Sorry I don't have anything useful for info. Cart usage for my fleet is all over the place, and I don't have any solid data that I could add other than lead batteries are heavy.
Yes they are definitely heavy. I still need to add a little ballast to my front end, when I have a couple people in the back seat the front end definitely gets a little light.

Either that or I need to eat more. I’ll let the wife know
Old 05-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Back to your original request, I have some data that may interest some, but unfortunately I am not able to post two videos of it. Anyway, here is what my Alltrax is set at:

Max motoring amps: 175
Regen amps: 70
Throttle: 45%
RPM: 5950

Todays ride was 11.6 miles, with 5 miles on a newly chip sealed road surface. I couldn't get over 24mph continuous on this surface. Lots of rolling resistance from the tar. About 6 miles of the ride was at top speed which I normally don't do. This accounts for the higher Ah per mile figure below, plus the chip seal surface. My normal rides are in the 1.4 Ah per mile range.

Chip Seal Road: The max amps from a stop with full pedal was 119.7. Cruising at 24mph amps were 65 to 68.

Asphalt Road: The max amps from a stop with full pedal was 115.1. Cruising at 25 to 26 amps were 55 to 59.

End of ride data:
11.6 miles, averaging 1.71 Ah per mile
52.44 volts
52.12 Ah
72.4% SOC
Top Speed 27mph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final 51.12 Ah.jpg (195.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Final 72.4% SOC.jpg (184.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Final 52.44 Volt.jpg (173.2 KB, 0 views)
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks Tom. Very interesting… do you have your current limited on the alltrax? I would have expected higher draw than that with a big motor and controller. I’ve been putting that off because I don’t want to kill the range/performance but now you got me second thinking that again

I’d be very curious to see how an AC kit behaves too. But impressed that your setup draws minimally more than my stock setup does
Old 05-13-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Thanks Tom. Very interesting… do you have your current limited on the alltrax? I would have expected higher draw than that with a big motor and controller. I’ve been putting that off because I don’t want to kill the range/performance but now you got me second thinking that again

I’d be very curious to see how an AC kit behaves too. But impressed that your setup draws minimally more than my stock setup does
I have the Alltrax set at 175 amp max motoring amps.

I have no doubt my range would drop if I had hills to accommodate. It would be interesting to see how the amp draw would be with my identical setup on hills. I'm sure the range would drop.

But with a max single ride of 21 miles to date, I don't worry much about that. Even with the increased usage today, I could still get 30 miles easily and still have enough to get it to the charger.

I do charge after every 5 mile+ ride.

I like my setup a lot, but wish I knew more about AC drives back then. They are pricey though!
Old 05-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Tom curious if youve tried, how does it affect your range if you turn the regen off? I’ve got no regen (and frankly prefer it that way but that’s just my preference) but I’ve always been curious how much difference the regen actually makes.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Tom curious if youve tried, how does it affect your range if you turn the regen off? I’ve got no regen (and frankly prefer it that way but that’s just my preference) but I’ve always been curious how much difference the regen actually makes.
I love my regen! I typically don't use brakes at all. It will slow me down from 25 to 5mph in 6 seconds or less.

Eco Battery said it is rated for 100amp continuous regen input or 350 amps in short bursts. I have mine set at 70amps currently but plan to increase it to 80.

I am sure that extends the runtime somewhat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car