lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2022, 08:39 AM   #1
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Switching to lithium and have a tough question

I have an '86 ezgo currently using 6-LA batteries (36v). I did a conversation kit it that I got from Scotty B. I bought the Admiral MOT-B1 motor and the C54 package and it came with the 400a solenoid that can be used as a 36v or 48v option.

The conversation was easy and has been working great for the last year. However my old and tired lead acid batteries are getting to that point and I want to complete my conversation with Lithium batteries.

I know I can direct swap in 3-12v lithium batteries to make 36v of power with the current set up I have and all will be fine. But I bought the conversation kit so I can make it a 48v.

So my real questions are... If I add 2 or 3 lithium batteries to make 48v what else do I need to upgrade with the conversation kit I had bought? Perhaps just the resistor on the solenoid? Is there anything I need to change on the solid state controller? And would it even make a difference going to 48v?

I don't need increased range, but I would like to get consistent speeds. The lead batteries drain and speed depends on their charge. I use the cart in RV parks so I don't need a speed demon cart, I believe I get 12-13mph at best and would like a consistent 13-15mph if possible.

Thank you and I appreciate any help you can offer.
Mnemonic Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Switching to lithium and have a tough question

You are on the right track. Simply change the pre-charge resistor to 470Ω and the C54 kit is good to go 48 volts. This is one reason why this continues to be our most popular conversion.

The controller needs no program changes for 48 volts. However your battery change may require a change in max amperage or low cut off setting. Check with your battery dealer or manufacture
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Don't get 12v lithium batteries, get one 48v battery. I have gone through the reasons why many times here on this forum. You'll thank me later.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You are on the right track. Simply change the pre-charge resistor to 470Ω and the C54 kit is good to go 48 volts.
Thank you. Where can I buy this resistor by itself without having to purchase another solenoid?
Old 02-22-2022, 09:29 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemonic Ghost View Post
would it even make a difference going to 48v?
Very generically, V = Speed. Increase the V, increase the speed.

The Ah = the size of the 'gas tank'. A 50Ah lithium battery has half the capacity of a 100Ah battery. General rule of thumb is to get the biggest Ah battery you can afford at the Voltage you want.

I run a 57.6V lithium pack on a "48V" Alltrax controller and HD solenoid. The Alltrax is good for up to 60V and I've not had a problem with it or the solenoid. As you and Scotty mentioned you'll just need the right resistor for your increased V.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #6
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You are on the right track. Simply change the pre-charge resistor to 470Ω and the C54 kit is good to go 48 volts.
Scotty, if you could elaborate on this. I have the 400MZJ solenoid and your kits say to order the specific 36 or 48 volt kit. I ordered the entire C54 kit set up for 36v. I am now upgrading to 48v and I just need to know is there a specific resistor I need? And secondly, is there a different diode needed as well? And if so where can I find this diode?
Old 05-10-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The MZJ400A solenoid we sell is 36/48v compatible. It says so on the solenoid label. Simply purchase a 470 ohm resistor on our solenoid page and you are good to go. No reprogramming is needed. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Don't get 12v lithium batteries, get one 48v battery. I have gone through the reasons why many times here on this forum. You'll thank me later.

Cheers
Pat.
Agree with Pat, buy single 48v pack. Eco battery, Roypow, Extreme team, evolution are all popular brands for carts. ScottyB now has the EcoBattery, I'm sure he will be happy to discuss any concerns with you, with excellent customer service.

Here is a thread on comparison (old)

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=173142
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts