lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #1
Barrettco
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter Generator DF ohm reading

My Club Car Precedent 2016 gas was not charging so I followed the Starter generator troubleshooting guide.

6. Disconnect the yellow wire from the DF terminal and the green wire from the F1 terminal on the starter/
generator. Using a multimeter set on ohms (O), place the red (+) probe on the DF terminal and the
black (-) probe on the F1 terminal. The reading should be between 4.5 to 5.5 ohms (O).
If the reading is incorrect, a possible grounded DF terminal and/or grounded field coil may be the
cause. The starter/generator will need to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled by a qualified
technician

My starter/generator is giving me a high resistance value above 100K ohm and it does not charge when I short from DF to the battery negative. I ordered a new voltage regulator and there was not charging after it was installed.

Does this mean I need a new starter/generator? Can this be easily fixed (internal part replacement)?
Are the Nidec ones just as good as the OEM if I have to go that route?

Thanks.
Barrettco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Starter Generator DF ohm reading

If you jump the DF post to battery negative and run the engine it should produce over 16v charging at full engine RPM. If the charge voltage does not go up the starter gen has a failure in the charge field coil, and will likely need to be replaced. You can disassemble it and check the post to see if the field wire has broken off or has a bad connection for some reason, but if it looks fine visually then the problem will be in the windings somewhere and that will require replacement of the starter gen.

OEM are quite spendy. Never heard of a Nidec so I can't say what kind of quality you would get there. Talk to David at Revolution Golf Cars, I know he has a few different options for starter gens for the older carts, and he can order OEM at better pricing than most other places.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:27 PM   #3
Barrettco
Not Yet Wild

You are correct. The wire was broken for the field lines. It looks like the wire was soldered/ spot welded using a copper plate to the DF bolt for the original build. Any ideas for the best way to reattach it.

I attached pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220509_225746287.MP~2.jpg (219.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220509_225655266.MP.jpg (206.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2022, 08:03 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That's a low current connection so if you can get good solder flow you can probably solder it back on your own. It has to be Super clean copper and firmly pressed together for it to work. You'll also need to remove the stud from the insulator or else the insulator may melt and allow the stud to contact the case.

Otherwise try an alternator/starter repair shop to have it brazed properly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:15 AM   #5
Barrettco
Not Yet Wild

Okay. I will give solder a try.
Thanks for a helping a stranger on the internet!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car