lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G2/9 carb

Have a cart and it needed a carb cleaning, ended up breaking the carb outer shell because the jet was seized into place

Anyone have a used carb close to Ohio ? Or does the cheap amazon carbs work ?
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G2/9 carb

Amazon ones are almost always garbage.

That said, the G9 I recently bought has a no name carb on it. It also has no airbox, just a cone filter. It ran, but not particularly well. I bought a $10 mikuni jet kit and took about an hour swapping the jet out and driving it, swap and drive. Swap and drive. Until I settled on what I feels makes it run the best, happened to be a 120 jet. Runs very well now.

I’m supposed to pick up the oem carb from the guy I bought the cart from, just haven’t had a chance to meet up with him to grab it yet. I’m not 100% sure it is the actual oem mikuni or not, but I can let you know when I do get it. Mine runs well enough I’m not sure I will need it after all.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:12 PM   #3
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes please do, i just ordered the cheap carb for giggles just to see if it will work well and since I just got the cart I don’t want to wait for a pen carb comes across my path
Old 04-29-2022, 04:19 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
Yes please do, i just ordered the cheap carb for giggles just to see if it will work well and since I just got the cart I don’t want to wait for a pen carb comes across my path
Don’t blame you one but

I have a thread recently here where I linked the jet kit I bought. Might be worth buying that also so maybe have a hope and a prayer at making the aftermarket one work.

This is one of two aftermarket carbs I’ve ever had work. Ever. And it took resetting and lots of tweaking but I’ve got it dialed in pretty good.

The other was in an old Honda rancher 350. But those quads are pretty much indestructible and not exactly governed by tight tolerances. You could have probably put a carb from a 50cc mini bike or a big block Chevy and it would run just as good
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #5
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks I found your thread and ordered the same kit, carb and jets should be here tomorrow
Old 04-30-2022, 03:16 PM   #6
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Came across another problem so I’ll just post here, my clutch slides left to right and I don’t think this is normal what is wrong and maybe how to fix my issue
Old 05-08-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
avgjoe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Thanks I found your thread and ordered the same kit, carb and jets should be here tomorrow
I am going through this also. Got an aftermarket amz carb, not running all that well, but at least it is running now at low rpm. Do you have any updates on your jet swaps? Can you describe how it ran before? Mine is not doing well at higher rpms. Acts like it is "missing" a bit. Also an occasional backfire.
avgjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #8
avgjoe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Amazon ones are almost always garbage.

That said, the G9 I recently bought has a no name carb on it. It also has no airbox, just a cone filter. It ran, but not particularly well. I bought a $10 mikuni jet kit and took about an hour swapping the jet out and driving it, swap and drive. Swap and drive. Until I settled on what I feels makes it run the best, happened to be a 120 jet. Runs very well now.

I’m supposed to pick up the oem carb from the guy I bought the cart from, just haven’t had a chance to meet up with him to grab it yet. I’m not 100% sure it is the actual oem mikuni or not, but I can let you know when I do get it. Mine runs well enough I’m not sure I will need it after all.
Can you describe how it ran before you got it dialed in. My G9 came in a similar state. No air box, so I put a small filter right on he carb. Just want to be sure I am working on he right problem. Mine "misses" and surges at higher rpm. Seems low on power. Details of how yours ran before dial in would be very helpful.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:16 AM   #9
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I read your post and not having a air box and a nock off carb is going to give u a big headache lol that’s why I’d offer to buy just the motor and u could do a 420 swap and be good and done with very little work
Old 05-08-2022, 11:47 AM   #10
avgjoe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I read your post and not having a air box and a nock off carb is going to give u a big headache lol that’s why I’d offer to buy just the motor and u could do a 420 swap and be good and done with very little work
Buying my motor from Ohio (I'm in TX) is not going to be cost effective and I need 2K out of this. I am not looking to sink more than I have to in this. We are moving and I just want to feel good about selling it. The guy who sold it to me, obviously had zero principles or mechanical skills. That said, others have made this setup work. Going to try the jets if I can figure out which jet kit to buy. FYI, never buy anything from "Eli Waters". He totally butchered this thing into an unsafe machine. Many missing bolts, wrong bolts, cross threaded bolts, **** wiring mods, botched carb rebuild, stupid home job lift, etc, etc. I have put weeks into just fixing his stupid. I finally feel safe driving it and just need it to run well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha