lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2022, 08:41 AM   #21
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lithium discharge question

You said that already. Batteries by law are shipped at 30% charge. If your charger voltage is 50V, then it isn't going to charge a 53V battery. Of course charging it to 50V is going to give you nothing for range if the full charge voltage is 58V. Get the charger fixed or replaced before you kill your battery.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2022, 10:41 AM   #22
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What charger are you using? I'm assuming it came with the pack? Sounds a lot like the charger is bad.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #23
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
What charger are you using? I'm assuming it came with the pack? Sounds a lot like the charger is bad.
It’s in the thread a few posts ago. Yes it came as a combo with with barriers.
Iflyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #24
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Something is not right....you will kill your batteries and possibly void your warranty if you try things on your own...contact supplier you got these from. Should be a warranty issue.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #25
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Here’s the thing. 53v is a pretty high Pre charge. Even with that I should get 25+ miles on 90 ampH. A guy on YouTube did 58 miles on 4 batteries. The exact batteries. I have 3. Extrapolating the math , that should be 43.5 miles. He also Avg 17 mph. My 6-7 miles isn’t good. All 3 batteries were within .1 volts. Very consistent. I’m confused.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #26
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I’ll assume you’ve got LiFePO4 lithium batteries as that’s the most common high capacity chemistry being sold to the general public at the moment and that they contain 16 cells (16S). The reason you’re confused is that the discharge curve for LiFePO4 is very, very flat and you cannot cross reference voltage with state of charge. A fully charged “48v” LiFePO4 battery can be as low as 53.6v after settling. A fully depleted battery can be as high as 49v after settling. 50v is pretty much a dead “48v” LiFePO4 battery.

To fully charge your battery you will need from 55.2v to 58.4v. 56.8v is a good charging voltage for 16s LiFePO4, but I would be very wary about setting a charge voltage without knowing your exact battery specs.

As said previously, something is wrong with either your charger or BMS and you should contact your supplier.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:13 PM   #27
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
I’ll assume you’ve got LiFePO4 lithium batteries as that’s the most common high capacity chemistry being sold to the general public at the moment and that they contain 16 cells (16S). The reason you’re confused is that the discharge curve for LiFePO4 is very, very flat and you cannot cross reference voltage with state of charge. A fully charged “48v” LiFePO4 battery can be as low as 53.6v after settling. A fully depleted battery can be as high as 49v after settling. 50v is pretty much a dead “48v” LiFePO4 battery.

To fully charge your battery you will need from 55.2v to 58.4v. 56.8v is a good charging voltage for 16s LiFePO4, but I would be very wary about setting a charge voltage without knowing your exact battery specs.

As said previously, something is wrong with either your charger or BMS and you should contact your supplier.

Cheers
Pat.
Great info. I purchased the Eagle Kit LiFeP04. 90Ah (3 batteries). Tech support said to check the voltage output of the charger. I’m out of town and will do that Wednesday. I’ll post the results.

Thanks guys
Old 05-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #28
ClubCarDave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Remove/bypass the OBC, It’s not needed with lithium, especially since you’ve also got a Navitas controller.
OK...still having the same issues. Here is what I did. Since I am not concerning with using the Club Car charging port, I did not cut the large black wire at the OBC controller nor cut the small gray wire. I only hooked the white to the blue to ensure I was limiting the OBC from locking out my contactor. According to the instructions, this was supposed to provide the power to the contactor around the OBC. Once I powered up the master battery pack again....the same thing happened. I checked the power on the blue and white wire and I did have the 50V to the inlet side of the contactor and it even looked like I had the 50v on both sides of the contactor but no ground to actuate the contactor. I'm assuming this is how it works. I then re-hooked up everything back the way it was and followed the OBC reset procedure and everything came back on with the battery pack. What am I missing here?
ClubCarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO