lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2022, 08:03 AM   #1
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

Default 97’ rebuild started, follow and advise, giggle or facepalm

My upfront warning is that I’m not a forum guru or mechanical genius so like the title says…..
Anyway, I have some parts starting to roll in so I figured I’d try and share some of the journey. Here’s my basket case
33C7088F-6CA4-468E-BF7F-3531608E57A2.jpg
Stevowevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 97’ rebuild started, follow and advise, giggle or facepalm

I decided to start with the front end lift kit, a 6” from Steeling (sp?). They didn’t have a kit that was an exact match in stock but advised me one for newer model year carts would fit if I put the newer front wheel hubs on it. I say great and throw those in the basket as well. I got about half way into it when I found out the factory CC bolts (which the instructions say to use)are too short. Went to the local marina store and found some stainless steel replacements.
Got a little further along and discovered that the the original castle nuts to hold the shiny new hubs on are the wrong size too. Oh well, I’m going to need a lot more parts anyway
F1DC0D9B-F5E3-4F41-8B48-DB45F208FE88.jpg
Old 02-27-2022, 07:39 AM   #3
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

I just wanted to clarify that I’m not knocking SGC or their product in fact their customer service was top notch when I called about ordering my parts
Ok to keep things moving along I have started working on the rear axles and I have a few questions. Does anyone know a good method for changing the the bearings that sit behind the hubs?
My other concern is the brakes. Considering the cart will be lifted with bigger 23” tires, should I put an aftermarket disk kit in or run a new set of stock drums? Here you can see the bearing in question
489700D5-4C75-41CA-B51C-372F6E375982.jpg
Old 02-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #4
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

I’m toying with the idea of a new/rebuilt transaxle if anyone knows where I could source it from
6482B9D1-0278-4DA9-B18B-D53DDB96C199.jpeg
Old 02-27-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like a good project. For a transaxle you could try calling Dave at http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/. He is a site sponsor here and you wont find better customer service.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
Cb750
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevowevo View Post
I just wanted to clarify that I’m not knocking SGC or their product in fact their customer service was top notch when I called about ordering my parts
Ok to keep things moving along I have started working on the rear axles and I have a few questions. Does anyone know a good method for changing the the bearings that sit behind the hubs?
My other concern is the brakes. Considering the cart will be lifted with bigger 23” tires, should I put an aftermarket disk kit in or run a new set of stock drums? Here you can see the bearing in question
Attachment 227891
I took my axles to work and used a press. You'll need a big clamshell too.

MAYBE you can use the Toyota "hate concrete" method, but that requires removing the axle tube.
Cb750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #7
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

I had to google the Toyota/concrete method. Seems pretty risky with an expensive part but hey if it works, it works.
Does anyone know what rotation the Fuji ed65 axles are set up for? And can I make one fit in the 97’ model? I’m still considering that option. Hell I’d put an ezgo or yammy if all I had to do was cut and switch the spring mounts
Old 03-07-2022, 10:55 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

It looks like you are doing a lot of great work. Are the bearings making noise or just replacing while you are in there? Most any automotive shop or speed shop will change the bearings for you if needed.
As far as brakes, you might wait on them before you swap to disc.
If the drums will lock up with the 28s on there then you will not do any better with discs.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Went to the local marina store and found some stainless steel replacements.
Which grade stainless? Most Stainless hardware is lower strength than standard grade 5 steel hardware and is prone to breaking in structural or high stress applications. It's not something you generally want when it's holding suspension parts together. There are high strength grades of stainless, but they are generally very expensive and not commonly available.

Stainless is also prone to cause corrosion when in direct contact with aluminum, if any of the bolts are touching the aluminum frame you'll end up with white aluminum oxide powder all around the contact areas of the bolts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Which grade stainless? Most Stainless hardware is lower strength than standard grade 5 steel hardware and is prone to breaking in structural or high stress applications. It's not something you generally want when it's holding suspension parts together. There are high strength grades of stainless, but they are generally very expensive and not commonly available.

Stainless is also prone to cause corrosion when in direct contact with aluminum, if any of the bolts are touching the aluminum frame you'll end up with white aluminum oxide powder all around the contact areas of the bolts.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car