lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
ShrunkenMonsters
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Frankenstein Eh29c turbo build. Please help if you can!

Well the time has come and the cart is taken apart. I have a 96 Eh29c that the only mods that I have done to it are, HEI conversion to loop the rev limiter, a light port and polish to the head, and I’ve freed up the exhaust a bit by adding a 1” ID exhaust pipe in addition the the stock pipe coming out of the muffler. I’m starting to order parts and talk to the local machine shop about what to do and was wondering if you all could help weigh in on some of the things that I’m doing.

Well, I removed the interior transaxle governor, then as I was putting it back onto the cart I broke the rear engine cradle that attaches to the me29 axle (if anyone has one I’d be willing to buy it) and realizing I’d be down for a while I decided to go ahead and rebuild the engine. So the plan is to have the Eh29c 295 64mm block milled out to accept the eh35c 350 standard piston and rings with a bore size of 67mm and use a 350 head gasket. Which is, as far as I know, all I need to do to create a “375” like CT rebuilds does. Do I also need to mill the head of the piston as well? Please weigh in if there’s anything else I need to know regarding that. (Yes I’m aware that it’s a high compression 322)

Secondly I’m trying to create, or piece together, a lightweight valve train. So far I’ve found some stainless valves that are only 0.01” shorter than stock. The overall length of the valve (2.74” or 69.6mm as opposed to the stock 2.75” 70mm overall length) they’re 5.5mm stem diameter just like stock. The valves I had in my cart were fairly mangled so, does anyone definitively know the stock dish sizes for the intake and exhaust valves? Or with the modifications that I’m doing should I have the dish sizes enlarged? Additionally are there any concerns on going with all stainless valves, all titanium valves, or stainless in the exhaust and titanium on the intake valves? I’ve also found both titanium and billet aluminum valve spring retainers that will both work and additionally significantly reduce the weight of the valve train (with the aluminum being 1/3 the weight of the titanium even though the titanium is already significantly lighter than the stock mild steel) and both are rated for 8000+ RPM which I have no interest in ever reaching. The goal is to have something that can safely reach and be rev limited to 6,000-6,500 rpm. From what I hear, the trouble with having a higher revving engine with these is that the wrist pins are weak, the connecting rods are weak, and being that the connecting rods are cast aluminum they gall on the steel crankshaft when spun too fast. My question would be if the rods are the weak point would it be beneficial to have the rods milled a bit to accept proper rod bearings or would it just be best to source a billet rod or have one made? The reciprocating mass would need to be matched in order to keep it from vibrating but could also be lowered to match and allow the engine to rev easier right?

I’ve already sourced an EFI kit that will work well with this build that has everything to make this all able to be tuned properly as our engines being a parallel twin work much like a 150cc two stroke as there is a combustion once every revolution. Therefore shouldn’t be too hard to tune or add a turbocharger. With the EFI system being able to tune for separate fuels, I could even tune for E85 to help with cooling of the engine. The turbochargers would either be RHB31/VZ21 or a Garrett GT0632SZ. For simplicity sake, and cost, I’d likely be using the vz21 as I could buy 4 vz21’s for the price of one gt06 even though the gt06 is a better size fit for the cart.

Yes, I’m aware this all sounds idiotic when I could just slap a big block in and call it a day and have more horsepower. I’m aware that at some point this will probably end in catastrophic failure. But if it ends in catastrophic failure, a good portion of the parts that I’m going to be using in this build will be able to be repurposed into and onto the big block. Yes I’ve got lower 8:1 gears headed this way. It’s something I’m going to do and I’m ready to start ordering everything in order to make this happen. So please weigh in with anything you can think of to help me make this happen. Thanks in advance!
ShrunkenMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
ShrunkenMonsters
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Frankenstein Eh29c turbo build. Please help if you can!

Well… I’m getting started with it with or without y’all. I stuck with the 295cc bore and stroke, but I ported the heads. I figure if need be, I can bore out to fix a mistake. I’m still pulling 150 psi out of both cylinders. I’m getting started on the electronic fuel injection of the cart, doing away with the carburetor completely. After a little tuning, I’ll be getting rid of the HEI as well in favor of the CDI so I can tune spark advance and retard to suit my needs.
Once again please speak up if you know anything I haven’t thought of on this build. DE3463D9-0C8D-4E72-BCBF-13FA2DAFD2C0.jpg F2AFC964-31BA-422A-9EEE-2BB40C8238DC.jpg
Old 04-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrunkenMonsters View Post
Well… I’m getting started with it with or without y’all. I stuck with the 295cc bore and stroke, but I ported the heads. I figure if need be, I can bore out to fix a mistake. I’m still pulling 150 psi out of both cylinders. I’m getting started on the electronic fuel injection of the cart, doing away with the carburetor completely. After a little tuning, I’ll be getting rid of the HEI as well in favor of the CDI so I can tune spark advance and retard to suit my needs.
Once again please speak up if you know anything I haven’t thought of on this build. Attachment 229188 Attachment 229189
Interesting . How did your cart run with the HEI ? and where are you going to buy the CDI /Ignitor ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

weld the dif
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

do big smoky burnouts
Old 04-24-2022, 10:37 AM   #6
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

drag silks
Old 04-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #7
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

go power sports
Old 04-24-2022, 10:48 AM   #8
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

a goal of 15hp
Old 04-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would do a search of Fast Fred, supercharged TXT. While I realize you are pushing air in a different way, he also used a CDI, did work on his heads to open up the processing of air. Custom valves, but the biggest take I got was he used stock crank, rods, pistons. Everything was done to the top end, not the bottom end, and he reportedly pushed this engine up and often without issue. There are some details out there, and more from the pictures that are still out there. Maybe someone that bought one of his kits can spread some light on what all was included in his kit. That being said, it was still only in the mid 20's to 30's HP from the sounds of it. Going big block with the builds outlined in Red Beard's Garage get the power up in the 30's, 40's and to 70hp, depending on how much build you want to put into it, including supercharging. I guess it all depends on your goals. What do you want to do with the cart that the turbo gives you something special?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #10
ShrunkenMonsters
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Interesting . How did your cart run with the HEI ? and where are you going to buy the CDI /Ignitor ?
With an aftermarket (pig rich) carb. I was able to maintain about 5,700 rpm. Going downhill the tach I had on it measured up to 7,400 rpm. The HEI conversion made a more accurate spark and a more predictable acceleration. It’s been fun I’m just ready for more.

Edit; as for the CDI, it came with a mega squirt setup that I bought. Full EFI kit. Might take me a little bit to get everything up and running, but I’m trying to figure out if I’m going to need a missing tooth/Hall effect sensor in order to tune the spark.

Tags
375 build, efi, eh29c, lightweight valve train, turbocharged
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO