lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Ampere Time LifePo4 12v 50ah batteries

Sorry if this has already been answered but my internet is down and I am using my phone. Can't search on Tapatalk.

Looking at drop in replacements for my T875s on my O1 Clobcar DS. Ampere Time has a 12v 50 ah lithium battery for $200 on Amazon, so I could wire 4 in series for 48v 50ah pack. Will Prowse who does a ton of electrical videos on Youtube gives these batteries a pretty good review. Looking at installing 4. Should I use a 4 bank lithium configured onboard marine charger that charges ealch battery individually (Noco or MinnKota most likely) or just a 48v lithium configured charger?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
jwhranger
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ampere Time LifePo4 12v 50ah batteries

I'm curious about these as well, but something tells me that peak 100amps for 5 seconds is just not enough. I would think that you would need a 48 volt balancer, then whatever lithium charger you liked would work. With all your upgrades on your carts I think the only people that would be happy with that low amp availability would be someone that had a long flat driveway and only used the cart to go to the mailbox and back in a stock cart.
jwhranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Nowhere near enough!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Volt, was considering a balancer, I'll need one even if I get 4 bank charger? If so any recommendations on a balancer? Also, I could use a recomendation for an SOC meter. I have Scotty's voltmeter, but want something geared towards lithium.

From what I've seen from the comments on the 50AH Roypow, looks like the max/continuous discharge is comparable and it seems as if no one has had issues with that, and I live in Coastal SC so no hills to speak of. I probably won't drive more than a mile at any given time (may drive to my office as I just moved and now live just under a mile from it).

But if the continuous/max discharge is an issue, I should know right away. Why I bought from Amazon. If it doesn't work, I'll send them back and probably go the Roypow route. I've done the Leaf conversion once and really don't feel like doing that much work and watching it all blow up in my face because of some dumba** mistake I make with the BMS. LOL. I'm going to use the remnants of a 1/2 inch 4x8 PVC sheet i have in my garage to fabricate a bottom for the battery bay to protect the battery bay from water, mud, dirt that gets thrown up from tires. I'll post some pics when I get the batteries. Expected delivery for batteries and charger is next week. So hopefully be up and running by 10/16.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

One more thing. Since I am going to be using an onboard lithium charger, I am going to put a marine receptacle where the charger normally plugs in. This way I can just use a heavy duty extension cord to connect to cart. This will obviously require me to remove the CC plug in. If I do this, should I remove OBC completely or just do the bypass procedure?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sorry - I don't have any recommendations for a balancer. I did my own - for my Leaf conversions.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Sorry - I don't have any recommendations for a balancer. I did my own - for my Leaf conversions.
Ok.

Sergio - any recommendations for a balancer for 4 12v LiPo4 Batteries?
Old 10-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here's the problem: Each 12V battery is actually four cells. Each of those needs to be balanced. If you have four 12V batteries then you have a total of 16 cells that should be balanced. If each battery has it's own balancer to balance the four cells, then you still need to balance each individual 12V battery to run them in series with a single charger.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #9
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

And if you use a 4 port charger as you suggested you need to make sure all ports are isolated from each other. They must not have a common negative or positive.

Either way, 4 12v batteries is never a good idea.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:19 PM   #10
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
And if you use a 4 port charger as you suggested you need to make sure all ports are isolated from each other. They must not have a common negative or positive.

Either way, 4 12v batteries is never a good idea.
I got the MinnKotta 4400PCL 4bank charger locally on Facebook Marketplace. It has a lithium profile and has 4 sets of leads to charge each battery individually. Went with 4 batteries because the price was so good and the batteries got good reviews from Will Prowse who does a ton of DIY stuff. More importantly, they are coming from Amazon so if they don't adequately power the cart or give me issues, I'll just return them and go with one of the 48v drop in options or build another pack (hopefully doing a better job with BMS than I did a few years ago). I moved away from my golf course so won't be using cart much, just the occasional trip around the neigbhorhood so am trying the "cheapskate" option first
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium