lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #1
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart Project Complete Custom Rebuild from Frame Up

We finally found another permanent campsite for the family but it’s so big that I’m not walking. Everyone uses carts.

My old Club Car is in the garage in pieces down to the aluminum frame on blocks. Suspension is apart as well. It was originally 36v and that’s not doable for this campground so I’m doing a full rebuild from frame up. I plan on putting a diesel in it with frame modifications to handle the weight. I may even stretch it to a six seater so we can carry the entire family and the dogs. I’m thinking at least 20hp but ive been seeing used kubotas even higher than 20 that might work. My first question of many to come is what kind of gearing / clutch should I be looking at since I don’t have one to begin with since old cart was electric? Not sure what some of the gas cart options can handle(wish there was an automatic tranny I could use). I see 6 to 1 gearing is mentioned. I’ll shoot for that.

Also curious about anyone who has tried 4wd with these conversations and how they achieved it? Remember, all I have is a frame and a welder. Can pretty much do anything with the cart at this point.

This is my winter project. Has to be finished by April. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart Project Complete Custom Rebuild from Frame Up

So I found a couple of nice options as far as power plant is concerned. The place I visited had everything I needed used and then some. Looking at a 15 Hp yannmar and up to 25hp kubota. Looks like the drive train will come out of an old cushman that had a diesel in it. Comes complete with axel and breaks as well as Tranny. Just have to figure out if I really need 25hp diesel. Looks like some of the diesel carts from the factory I’ve seen that carry 8 have 14 Hp diesels so I am not sure if 25hp is overkill. Don’t want to be doing wheelies nonstop from too much Hp.

Frame is stripped to the aluminum and ready to be stretched/welded and the engine mounted and aligned once I bring it home in a couple of days. I still have a chance to goto the 25hp diesel What do you guys think?
Old 10-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #3
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

So we picked up a rear and an engine. The rear came out of an old Toro workman. This gives us forward neutral and reverse. Might have to increase the ratio but I’ll be happy with the 20 mph it was designed for. The engine will require some welding and framework but not a big deal. We have the tools. I think I’m going to add a turbo just to quiet the engine a bit. Don’t really need the extra Hp a turbo will give me. Quiet is more important in a campground. Got a 40amp so alternator and a power distribution box with fuses for accessories. Next have to pick the front end with at least a 6” lift. Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

sounds good , but you need to post some pics .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

So the dissection has begun to stretch the frame from a 2-seater to a 3-seater and make frame changes so the d1105 fits with the rear end we pulled out of the Workhorse in the boneyard. Not much to say yet than we saw utter devastation in the garage yesterday. The cutoff wheel and the sawzall were the weapons of choice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 029D6C09-C3D7-41B2-BC7E-1622290A54A4.jpg (272.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A8530DAB-C6DC-44E9-9CD3-80BED939F93A.jpg (205.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg D406A9E9-9BAB-4802-8A98-3236538D9E07.jpg (216.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Cool, what's the RPM range on that Kubota engine?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #7
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Looks like max is 3000 rpm’s max Hp 25. In the 30 Hp range with a turbo which ill probably end up doing at some point to keep it quiet.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:16 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Score yourself a muffler from an old reefer unit. These are quiet, already sized for your engine [pipewise] and save yourself the frigging around with turbo plumbing, oil supply and return, resultant extra heat from the hair dryer and altering the fuel curve in the injection pump.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #9
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Found an adapter that would work with the Comet 780 but I thinking they 780 might not be enough for the HP and potential loads as a 3-seater loaded with adults. The adapter is only 1” not 1 1/8 as required for the 1190. Could fab one but I think it would be much simpler to find one. Anyone have a lead on an adapter for the 1190 that will fit the D1105?
Old 01-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #10
davidcmartin90
Not Yet Wild

might not be exactly what you are looking for but this is the one i bought to mount to my d600 flywheel:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275019586777
davidcmartin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps