lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
cbubac
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G22 Predator 420 Swap Vegas Carts

I’ve been a long times lurker and have read most every post I can on my build. I started it last year sticking a Predator 420 in my G22 due to a blown out cam boss.

Thanks to Vegas Carts the engine is in and running. I’m playing with throttle options now but everything works and the cart moves.

The issue I have is belt tension. The belt seems loose when engine is off but when running (idle) wants to grab. It might grab and go but the cart is very slow. I’m using the stock G22 clutch with the taper adapter and based on others experience it should work. I have it connected to the throttle plate not directly to the governor arm should it make a difference.

Thanks in advance
cbubac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
cbubac
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G22 Predator 420 Swap Vegas Carts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

From the photo I can see that the belt is probably worn out. The belt should ride nice and high in the secondary clutch, but on yours the belt is actually riding below the top of the sheaves. Take a measurement, should be 1 3/16". That could affect your performance, but shouldn't make the cart have a slow top speed. What is your top speed? Stock these carts will go 15mph if the governor is set properly, but with stock tires you should have no problems pushing 20 mph with a fully tightened governor. With the clone engine you should top out around 22-25 depending how high you rev the engine.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Your options are limited using the stock clutch.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The belt looseness is normal for your setup. Your primary clutch is a Comet 94c style, which doesn't have a center roller bearing so the belt has to be set up kinda loose to be able to idle and engage into gear properly.

Your power should be twice that of a stock cart, so take off should be very snappy, and should throw gravel without a problem

If you are having issues with power, I'd suspect the throttle isn't opening all the way. With the engine off, cycle the accelerator pedal all the way down and then check the carb on the engine. Is the carb butterfly all the way open?
Old 08-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Your options are limited using the stock clutch.
That's not a stock clutch, it's a puck style, like a Comet 94c, Yamaha never used that style. It's an aftermarket replacement. CPP sells them.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #7
cbubac
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
From the photo I can see that the belt is probably worn out. The belt should ride nice and high in the secondary clutch, but on yours the belt is actually riding below the top of the sheaves. Take a measurement, should be 1 3/16". That could affect your performance, but shouldn't make the cart have a slow top speed. What is your top speed? Stock these carts will go 15mph if the governor is set properly, but with stock tires you should have no problems pushing 20 mph with a fully tightened governor. With the clone engine you should top out around 22-25 depending how high you rev the engine.

It’s actually a new belt. The photo is with the engine off. Once running the clutch starts to engage and if in gear will move (when brake off) and engine at idle.

The engine has full rpm however currently only a header pipe so I’m not really excited about full rpm because the neighbors might rain on my parade.

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback so quick

Old 08-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbubac View Post
It’s actually a new belt. The photo is with the engine off. Once running the clutch starts to engage and if in gear will move (when brake off) and engine at idle.

The engine has full rpm however currently only a header pipe so I’m not really excited about full rpm because the neighbors might rain on my parade.

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback so quick

Did you measure the belt width?
Old 08-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Belt width should be 1 3/16" minimum. If it measures good, then I'd look at your secondary clutch. The belt shouldn't ride that low in the secondary sheaves.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If the clutch is engaging at idle, you need to back the idle down a bit. If it's a new belt, they can be "grabby" while they are breaking in, that's normal. But if the cart wants to move when you take your foot off the brake, then it's idling too high.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!