lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Nissan Leaf 48v Lithium Battery - Big Problem! Need expert advice!

My lithium pack has expanded, swelled, or warped and I don't know why! I was injured and bedridden for a few months and unfortunately the cart sat for almost 3 months. During that time, my pack came pretty close to discharging completely (I know this is bad).

Does anyone know if a total discharge would cause the warping or swelling of the cells to happen? As you can see in the picture, it even bent the frame! The only other info I can give is that the cart was outside the whole time under a carport. We had a pretty cold winter, but never too far below freezing. The battery is in a dry box in my cart, so it was completely dry and there was no direct contact with the cold weather or other elements.

Note: This is a Nissan Leaf 48v Lithium pack that I purchased from EVBatteryCenter a few years back. I have asked them about it and I haven't gotten a direct answer back yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm assuming it is not safe to try to do a trickle charge and power back into it?

20190503_125151.jpg

20190503_125156.jpg

20190503_125202.jpg
flyons78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Nissan Leaf 48v Lithium Battery - Big Problem! Need expert advice!

I'm no expert. However, the cells that have swelled, should be disconnected and disposed of properly. As for the reason this happened, there could be multiple reasons. I'll let the gurus educate us on that.

I'm sorry you went through the health issue, and glad you are doing better. Hope you continue good health!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just as BBC said. They are toast. That is usually from overcharging, probably from Nick's failed BMS. One of his failed last year and ruined a 7 module pack. I see that those were the 82AH double modules, scarce as hen's teeth. Since he passed away, there is nothing that Neli, his wife, will do for you on them. You'' have to start over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180224_103556276.jpg (716.1 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Hope you are doing better.

Man that really sucks!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the kind words and information. I'm in good health now. It's a bummer about the battery pack, I was unaware that Nick's BMSs were on the faulty side.

Anyone know where I can get a new(used) Leaf battery pack and proper BMS for a good price?
flyons78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
Ribfeast
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Replace them with a fresh set, but build a compression style battery box for them this time to stop the swelling and keep the pack together.

Here's mine for example:

https://imgur.com/a/IlTpuF9

Some good reading here:
http://nordkyndesign.com/category/ma...ttery-systems/
Ribfeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evbatterycenter, lithium battery, nissan leaf
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium