lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
coderunner
Not Yet Wild

Default Help decide if Tomberlin solenoid bad

I have an older Tomberlin Emerge (?200. I believe the solenoid that sends power to the voltage reducer has gone bad. Help me decide if I am right before ordering the $130 part to try.

The picture attachment below shows it (couldn't figure out how to post picture with test). The black and large red wires coming in to the small and large bolts test at 48V (bringing power in). The small blue wire is from the key switch. That small bolt goes from 0 to 48 V when the key is turned on. The large bolt with yellow wire carries power to the rectangular voltage reducer on the right. I have been getting unclear readings from the bolt with the yellow wire. It acted almost like a ground (testing the two large bolts to each other gives 48V. I removed the yellow wire from the bolt and tested the bolt. Gives a zero reading with the key off or on. I'm guessing that means that the 48V are not making it across from the large red wire and it needs replaced. Does this seem right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8467.JPG (96.1 KB, 0 views)
coderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #2
cltracey02
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help decide if Tomberlin solenoid bad

I have not seen many of the voltage reducer solenoids fail, if any. Do yourself a favor and pull the battery out of the way and look at the electrical connectors. Not uncommon for battery acid to eat them. Also, loose connections in the fuse box. Lastly you can hook the battery back into circuit out of the cart with some jumper cables. It is easier to get multimeter probes in with the battery out of the way to be able to see if the voltage reducer is getting the power and grounds it needs.
cltracey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
coderunner
Not Yet Wild

In the end, we bypassed the solenoid and connected the blue hot wire from the key switch to the yellow wire taking power into the voltage reducer. At that point, 12 volts was coming from the red output wire from the reducer. All back working. Seems like something in the solenoid was amiss. In the 2008 Tomberlin, that solenoid only affects the 12v system. It is not tied into the drive system. I believe it gets tied into the drive system in later years (2010? And later)
coderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderunner View Post
In the end, we bypassed the solenoid and connected the blue hot wire from the key switch to the yellow wire taking power into the voltage reducer. At that point, 12 volts was coming from the red output wire from the reducer. All back working. Seems like something in the solenoid was amiss. In the 2008 Tomberlin, that solenoid only affects the 12v system. It is not tied into the drive system. I believe it gets tied into the drive system in later years (2010? And later)
Your correct, they did.

You can then have a tomberlin that goes 4 MPH and its because of that solenoid.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
Jhammer
Not Yet Wild

So which solenoid do you hear click when press the accelerator down and does that have anything to do with the little solenoid? I have the same system but I'm not hearing a click when pressing the accelerator except for the micro switch. I however do her a initial click when turning on the key on.
Jhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin