lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Charger not coming on

I just fully charged my cart the other day and it has barely been ridden since. I talked to a tech today at the dealer I bought my light kit from and was telling him about hey the rear lights quickly quit on me and the front went dim in no time and how they are wired to the #4 battery only. After charging the cart, I checked the lights again and they were good. Checked them again today, after not using them at all since charging the cart, and again the rear lights wouldn't come on and the front was dim. So, short of getting batteries load tested (I intend to now, just haven't done it), I acted on a recommendation from him to swap batteries 3 and 4 in the cart and see what happens with the lights. In other words, suspecting that battery #4 is a weak link. Well I did that and the lights started working again. But I figued I would throw it on the charger and see how long it took to charge up. Plugged it all in and nothing happened. Is something now wrong with the charger? Or does it sense that the cart is more or less fully charged and is not coming on because of that?

It's a club car powerdrive2 automatic charger...
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charger not coming on

Just found another thread about a charger problem with a troubleshooting guide someone posted. Am I screwed here or what? Could swapping those 2 batteries have done something? Could someone have put the bad battery at #4 to least expose it as a problem and now putting it more in the middle is causing a problem? Did I do something to blow the OBC or the external charger? I definitely have power to the outlet it's plugged into. The charger I got was beat up but it worked fine the 2 times I've used it.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Did you flip it to the "Tow" position when you swapped the batteries around? If not, the arcing from re-connecting them is enough to damage electronic components such as the OBC
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i always say 1st to try and eliminate charger try it on another cart to see if it works than we know its the cart or try a known good charger on your cart see if it works..........lift seat and look at fuse to make sure you didn,t blow it the fuse on top of charge receptical not grey wire fuse......than start with batteries, test and load test you need approx 36 volts for charger to come on....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

How many volts do I need to run the cart? The cart and lights are currently working fine now.

Does most everyone have an extra cart laying around to try your charger on when it fails on the first cart???? I know I don't.

And, yes, I did flip the run/tow switch to tow before I touched the batteries.

I'm not following where to look for this fuse...

Not trying to be a big a-hole here but it seems a lot of responses I get here assume I know a lot more about these things than I yet do. I don't have testing equipment, spare parts, or spare carts lying around to check everything against. I have a cart and a charger and that's it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is the circuit breaker in the charger tripped? Little black thingy right of cord, left of funny looking fuse.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

With no tools or test equipment, even the best of us would have a hard time with figuring out what the problem is. Non of us want to guess what the problem is, so you need to help us a out a bit.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedClub View Post
How many volts do I need to run the cart? The cart and lights are currently working fine now.

Does most everyone have an extra cart laying around to try your charger on when it fails on the first cart???? I know I don't.

And, yes, I did flip the run/tow switch to tow before I touched the batteries.

I'm not following where to look for this fuse...

Not trying to be a big a-hole here but it seems a lot of responses I get here assume I know a lot more about these things than I yet do. I don't have testing equipment, spare parts, or spare carts lying around to check everything against. I have a cart and a charger and that's it.
You can stop looking now.... Precedents aren't fused on top of the receptacles.... It's all internal in the OBC
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you are going to have to get at a minimum a digital volt meter. It is almost impossible to diagnose a cart without one and in order for anyone to assist you, we are going to have to be getting readings of voltage from you.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

What seems logical to me is to check any fuses I can find, right? But sounds like there isn't one I can check on a precedent - maybe on the charger? Then, maybe switch the batteries back and see if that makes a difference? Then, regardless, number my batteries with something, take them out, and take them down to an auto store and have them load tested? Or am I off base?

The charger needs to see 36 volts to even come on, is that true? How many volts will the cart run on? Because after this all happened, I rode the cart around and it seems to run fine and I even ran the lights a little while tonight and they work too. Does that eliminate the 36 volt scenario? Or does it not?

Sorry for the frustration guys. I know everyone has the best intentions and is trying to help. But I get a lot of mixed messages - first check a fuse, then no wait there is no fuse. Or "check the thingy by the other thingy". I guess I just need a solid starting point. I'll start by putting things back like they were and see if the charger works, at least. Then I'll go get the batteries tested unless that's a complete waste of effort and time? I don't have an extra charger or access to another cart to try my charger on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car