lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Jakes Spindle lift 3" vs. 6"

Been shopping around for lift kits and looking at the Jake's spindle lift kits. Any opinions on these vs. others?

I saw a few 3" lift kits (I was looking at the 6" kits). What size tires would a 3" kit let you run? I am looking at some 22x11x10 wheels and tires to put on. It appears the 6" kit says it's for 22" and up tires. So, will it look odd with 22's on it? Just wondering what can be had from a 3" lift as it pertains to tire size. I don't want too much gap between tire and body but want enough.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Jakes Spindle lift 3" vs. 6"

I would go 22s minimum, and an ATV tire is a much better tire. I'd look for a 3" offset wheel if you can find one. If I had a choice I'd go 23 or 25" if I possibly could, but I lifted my yamaha myself and with those you have to chop the whole rear bumper off and set the engine cradle back to fit over 22s...at the time I said 22 is good enough I didn't have time to weld more stuff up lol. Otherwise I'd say you would be thanking yourself later if you went larger, if you go offroad and it will look cooler. I would not lift it anymore than you need for the tires due to stability, you might want spacers for 25s even, unless its mostly just for show. On the trail I don't want more lift than I need I can corner harder and ride sidehills, plus the G9 I have does not articulate the rear swingarm so it rides harder but it does not lean. I've run down the banks on the sides of RR tracks with it. But I don't know your budget, just saying a few extra bucks if you keep the cart you will be glad you did it....once you buy the tires it will cost more to swap to larger later if your lift fits them. I still have not worn out my tires from '99 but I only ride dirt.

Double a arm lifts are the best, but depends on what you want to spend. Jakes are one of the best quality lifts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Definitely just for looks. Our CC DS gas cart was lifted but just had 8" wheels with hub caps and I didn't install the lift. This cart is not being built for any offroading at all. I kind of wanted to keep it low and go with some 12 or 13" rims with some low profile street tires. But my son really likes the lifted look with knobby tires better. But it will still be a campground cruiser that won't be seeing anything more than a dirt road and pavement - no mud, hills, etc. Not looking to put a lot of money into it. I've found a couple of wheel/tire combos I like and, as I said, was looking at the Jakes 6" spindle lift. Interesting that you say the A-arm lifts are better. I guess it depends on who you ask but the guy I bought the cart from recommended the spindle lifts as a better option but said the A-arm lift would work for what I wanted to do with it.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Well, quality of the lift can change but in general (I should have said 'double A arm') double arm lifts are better. They tend to ride better and the steering camber/caster/tow stays in spec better over travel in larger travel suspensions. The stock cart does not have that much travel so its not a big deal. That said, sure I bet you can find a nicer spindle lift than a crappy double a arm. For your use I would likely go with a higher quality lift and not worry about if it were a double arm or not...such as a jakes spindle. The better lift will usually install/fit/last better than a cheap one. Double arms don't really do much until you use more travel and most stock cart shocks can't give you much more anyway....unless the lift comes with new shocks.

The issue with 22 ATV tires, is you have a much better selection and often cheaper pricing on comparable tires at 22" rather than 20". ATV rated tires are way better, last longer, much more puncture resistant, etc. Cheap tires can also roll over in corners because they are softer. Plus most of the ATV tires look cooler. It all depends on what you want and what budget you have. If you pick around you can find deals on reasonable stuff. I am starting to wonder where all the CC guys are though, I've not done that much lift work on those lately.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

The wheel/tire combos I'm looking at are 22x11x10 and have more of what I'd call a lawn mower tire than an atv tire but definitely more off-road looking than a street tire.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Duro Deserts and All trails are popular knobbies that run smoother on road. I have trail pro tires and they are not bad either, are big knobs, they work well near anywhere but will plug with mud. It was about large as I could find that I thought would not tear up my yard. They used to be about 50 each. One nice thing is if you air them up they get about 23" in diameter and go faster. I also have 8x8 rims some lifts you have to use 10" or larger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts