lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default new brakes lost 3mph

I just got my cart back from EZGO service, I needed a brake job and my cables were rusted. They did the brake job and lubed the wheel bearings and also did an alignment. The cart prior would go 18-19 all day long. Now it will only go 17 and if I am going up a lightly inclined long road it will slow to 16 mph. Before the new brakes It would do 18 up the incline road. My question is, I assume and think I can feel the brakes dragging a bit which would cause the loss of speed. The factory shop adjusted the brakes once the new ones were on so I don’t want to fuss with them if this is just a break in thing and the brake pads need to scruff off a bit unit they seat in. Do you know how long this will take to break the new pads in so they don’t drag and also stop better? Right now they feel like they are a bit glazed and I can’t skid with them. I have only road it around a mile or so because I just got the cart home and its dark now.

Thanks for your help.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Crawler487
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: new brakes lost 3mph

You can usually just loosen the adjustment nuts on the bottom of the cart right behind the brake pedal to stop the dragging brakes. As for the break in thing, everytime I have ever changed break pads (which is probably around 50 times) they can instantly lock up the tires. Usually if you have a good amount of material on the brake pads and you still can't lock them up, you probably have to replace the drums.
Crawler487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler487 View Post
You can usually just loosen the adjustment nuts on the bottom of the cart right behind the brake pedal to stop the dragging brakes. As for the break in thing, everytime I have ever changed break pads (which is probably around 50 times) they can instantly lock up the tires. Usually if you have a good amount of material on the brake pads and you still can't lock them up, you probably have to replace the drums.
Really? The old brake pads had material left but they did were smooth and glazed looking. What would cause the drum to be bad? How do I check, what am I looking for?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Crawler487
Getting Wild
Club Car

Usually the drum will look and feel like glass. Also the drum will be worn down and create a slight lip at the edge of the where the brakes ride on the drum. Basically if someone brings be a cart and complains that they can't lock the tires up anymore and the pads look fine and the cables are tight, I just replace the drums and they work great after.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

After a ride I felt the rear wheel and brake hub area and it was HOT! So I did as suggested here and backed off the brake totally on the spherical nut and then re adjusted the system. The brakes were dragging badly and I guess that also caused the poor brake feel. Once it was adjusted correctly the speed is back and the brakes work much better and will not lock up on a hard stop.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
rib33024

you learned how to do your brakes

didn't you pay the shop to do the brakes?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post

you learned how to do your brakes

didn't you pay the shop to do the brakes?
Yes I did, they were going to come out and pick it up to fix it but I am not a patient type and I wanted to ride. Now I know what the answer is, if I had my tools with me where I keep the cart I would of done it myself to start with.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Crawler487
Getting Wild
Club Car

Glad I could help!!

Tags
brake, ezgo 36v, slow, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car