lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default What steps (preparation) should be used when painting cart with Herculiner

After some research, I think Ive decided to paint my whole cart with the Herculiner. I'm just wondering what steps need to be taken with the body before I start?

For instance, I've heard people say that you have to sand down the entire body, but others have said they just scuff it up some and roll it on. Does the fiberglass have some sort of clear coat I need to sand off?

What about the scratches that are in the fiberglass? Should I sand them smooth, try to fill them in, or just roll the textured paint over them? If it is thick enough, I figured it would fill them and they wouldn't be noticable.

If I need to sand the body down (which I think I am), what grit sand paper should I use?

Do I use any type of primer? Adhesion Promoter? Some said to, but others said it sticks fine to the fiberglass.

About all Ive heard was to scuff it up, clean it with some de-greaser/wax remover, and roll it on. If anyone could help me out or post some pictures of theirs, that would be great. I've searched, and got the same threads that are pretty much dead. I bought this cart very cheap, so I knew that I was going to redo the body. My plans were to vinyl wrap it with a camo wrap (since I will use it some for hunting), but decided against it for the price tag of $300. Plus I think they make it look easier in the youTube videos than it it actually is. Herculiner seems to be a favorite with some people on carts as well as jeeps etc... The only down sides I've heard was it peeled off on some (they said it was likely their fault during the prep stages and didn't put thick enough coats on). I also heard that it fades, which isn't that big of a deal. It is paintable, and you can buy the UV Protectant for it for like $20 that will restore it to its original shine and/or stop it from fading. Oreilly's has the kit on sale through the end of the month for $69.99.

Some people said that they don't think I would like the whole body like this, but I think I might as long as it looks good. I want something different, I suck at painting, and don't want to pay for a "good" paint job on a 10 year old cart to use as a hunting/work cart. I want something a little rugged.

If anyone could help me and post some step-by-step instructions, I plan on taking a lot of pictures and doing a write up if it turns out well.
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What steps (preparation) should be used when painting cart with Herculiner

See their Additional Applications here: http://www.herculiner.com/instructions.html

You can certainly do all the body work, sanding out the scratches & so on. But I don't think it'll look much different. It's not paint. It's more like tar with dirt in it.

Good luck.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What steps (preparation) should be used when painting cart with Herculiner

If I was to sand it down some, what grit do you guys think I should go with?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Herculiner is so gritty itself that I'd bet you could use 40 or 60 grit sandpaper & still never see the sand marks.

Start with 80, then 120 & 200. You can certainly go higher but I really don't think there is any point.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, got the body off tonight (good thing because it needs a good cleaning under there too).
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Ol Jake
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Cool Re: What steps (preparation) should be used when painting cart with Herculiner

Here's something to consider.

My neighbors son did the bed of his old pickup with the stuff. It looked good till one day it got real hot. He had a metal tool box sittin in the back and when he went to take it out, it was stuck to the floor.
The Herculiner got soft in the hot sun. There's been other things get stuck since and he's all but scraped it out now.

The kid said he followed the directions on the can, so you decided for yourself.

Whatever you go with, good luck..
Ol Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Its a little late jake, I already did it last weekend. It turned out awesome. A totally different cart now. I have some pictures I need to post up of the steps as I did it. Of all of the reviews, I never heard anyone say that it softens up and gets sticky. Only things I heard bad, was it didn't stick good, and it faded. You can buy the UV protection to keep it from fading / restore it if it does. And everyone who said that it didn't stick said that it was their fault during the prep stages. I prepped the body really good, and this stuff doesn't look like its coming off. I tried to scrape it with my fingernail and a hammer, and it will not come off. Can't believe how good it looks.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
Ol Jake
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Glad to hear all went well. Sorry I didn't fall on this sooner but one thing I will say about the kids truck, it sticks too good for him now that he's tryin to get it off..

Maybe he just got a bum can.

Let us know if ya run into anything come summer and I'd like to see some pics when you get them.

Best of luck.

Ol Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herculiner, line-x, paint, roll-on bed liner, rubber
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center