lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
gunslinger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Jake's Lift Question

Hi, first time poster here. I'm installing a Jake's 6 in. spindle lift on my 09 RXV and have an issue with the tie rod ends. Per the kit instructions, it says to extend the tie rod end 3-4 turns. However, on the left side, I have to back the rod out almost to the end of the tube in order to pick up the spindle hole (probably 8-10 turns). On the right side, I only have to back the rod end out 2 turns.

What's the best way to ensure the rods are the same length? I'm thinking that the tube that the rod ends attach to are at different lengths since they turn as well.

Just looking for some help from anyone who has installed this kit before. Thanks in advance.

Shawn
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
rutro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Jake's Lift Question

Hey Gunslinger,
Another new guy on this end , I've got the same cart and the same lift kit is supposed to get here tomorrow. I don't know exactly what you are running into but after tomorrow I probably will. Perhaps with two heads looking at it we can get it figured out.
rutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
gunslinger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds good rutro, I look forward to hearing how your installs goes.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
rutro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Gunslinger,
Have you done any good? My stuff came in Monday evening and Tuesday morning I jumped on it. I had the front end done by noon. The install went pretty much just like Jakes instruction sheet. The tierod ends unscrewed 3 turns on each side and the wheels lined up and looked good. When I checked the toein it was off a little. I think it took right at 1 turn on each sides adjusting collar to get the toein in spec.
The back end was a bit more difficult, but I had it basicly done by dark yesterday. Then today I did the reroute on the drivers side brake cable. Then finished up the motor mount and redid my speedo cable mount. All in all it was not a hard job but with my ol'bad back getting out of bed this AM was ruff.
I still don't understand why it took so many turns on that one side of yours to get the ends to link up. Maybe some one had replaced one or something and didn't know how? The collar the tierod end screws into works like a turnbuckle so did you try running it out to equal out the distance?
Anyway I hope you've had at least as good a' luck as I did. This cart is a beast now. It will run 27mph............ and I haven't played with the govner yet..........
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
gunslinger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. I plan on finishing it this weekend. Glad to hear you didn't have any issues with yours. Mine is electric, so I shouldn't have to worry about the brake cable or motor mount.

I'm thinking that the rod ends just were not equally adjusted from the end of the rod (rack extension) to start with. For the collar that you mentioned, are you referring to the rack extension? I figured the only adjustment was by moving the rod end inboard/outboard. So you're saying once you have the toe-in close, you only adjusted the rack extension and not the rod ends? Sorry for so many questions, I'm obviously a novice when it comes to this stuff.

The only other potential issue I foresee is that the steering wheel will not be centered when I finally do get the toe-in set. Did you have any issue with that?

Thanks for keeping me informed on your install.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
rutro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Gunslinger asked;
Quote:
For the collar that you mentioned, are you referring to the rack extension?
I guess that would be it? I was just looking at the Parts Service manual and it shows the parts but gives no name. It's the part just behind the tie rod end. It's got six flat sides so an open end wrench will fit, I think it was a 12mm, and that's where you make the adjustment. Works like a turn buckle, one way pulls the back side of the tire in, the other way pushes it out. All things being equal you would want to make the same ammount of adjustment on each side.

My steering wheel has been off just a little since day one. But if you take the center cover off the wheel and remove the nut the steering wheel just pulls off, hopefully, I may need a puller on mine. I've always just pulled it and centered it that way.

Hope that helps, I'm still tinkering and learning my self. Let me know if there are any other questions, I'll try to help if I can...........
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
lococummins
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I am guessing your carts are both gas? I didn't have to adjust anything on my kit when installing. Mine is Electric though
lococummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
gunslinger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

loco,

My cart is electric as well. Hopefully, when I get back to it this weekend I'll get it straight. I just wanted to find out if there was more than one place to make the adjustments.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
rutro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Lightbulb Re: RXV Jake's Lift Question

Gunslinger you got it right, that is the rack extension. Finaly found a pic with a name for that part.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts