lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #21
DsZ71
3 Linked

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Here I go again! EZGO 4x4 project

i want one of those now. lol

btw, is there anyway to get some pics / info on how the 4wheel drive works, ie transfer case set up?
DsZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #22
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsZ71 View Post
i want one of those now. lol

btw, is there anyway to get some pics / info on how the 4wheel drive works, ie transfer case set up?

The transfer case is pretty straight forward - Using a CVT direct on the transfer-case / transmission or call it the "gearbox". From the bottom of this, we have a front and rear drive shaft. This "gear box" contains the F-N-R and lock-out for the front drive shaft. The front drive-shaft will always spin when moving regardless if in 4WD or not.

Controls: Left handle - F-N-R; Right handle locks in the "gear box" for the front end. Rocker buttons are for the lockers. You can lock-unlock the rear at any time, the front locker will only give you the option actuate when the 4WD is engaged.

Interesting item my son pointed out last time we were driving it around, the control panel says it a "no no" to turning the wheels with the front locker on. Like any 4WD, it does bind things up a bit on hard surfaces - may help to save the drive-train a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controls.jpg (130.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg GaugePod.jpg (95.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg driveshaft.jpg (60.5 KB, 50 views)
garydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #23
ml41887
Not Yet Wild

I just happen to have mine apart right now and have some better drive train pictures. The drivetrain on these things are super simple. The only thing I don't have a picture of is the solenoid on the axles. The rear solenoid engages the second rear wheel. The front axle solenoid locks both wheels to the driveshaft.

As you can see I still have the factory clutch, which will be my next weekend project. What clutch did you use, part number would be awesome, and what carb did you go back with. I read that the carb off of the 20 hp was the only difference between the 18 and the 20. Do you have any insight into a carburetor swap?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-08-05_19-54-04_601 copy.jpg (204.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-08-05_18-23-26_769 copy.jpg (223.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-08-05_19-53-31_918 copy.jpg (192.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-08-05_19-53-47_470 copy.jpg (202.4 KB, 63 views)
ml41887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #24
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Quote:
What clutch did you use, part number would be awesome
I ended up gong back to a "Team" 8 inch three ramp style clutch with a non-spec higher pressure spring. I'll PM you the information on it if you like. The Team two ramp (like on yours now) are prone to break sooner or later. Funny, even the manufacture of the OE primary said it was of bad design.

The carburetor was a replacement straight out of the Honda manual. The factory carb was part "16100-ZJO-883 21HC" and was discontinued - the replacement is 16100-ZJO-831 21HA" if my notes serve me correctly. The cost at the local small engine store was about $151. I did see a post somewhere about a different carburetor giving more power, but I don't know any more than that. Considering the specs on both engines appear the same (displacement and CR)there might be something to it.

Cart looks good, what are your plains?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #25
ml41887
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man, and I would like the part number for the clutch. My plan, right now, is just restoration. The one that I have came from Massachusetts and was a rust bucket. The body panels were rusted through, which is crazy since it's a 2007. I'm getting rid of all of the rust on the frame right now. I sprayed all frame rust with primer and then that rubber in a can stuff which will hopefully isolate enough to prevent galvanic corrosion and a bit of sound isolation from the floor. It may be a pipe dream but I'll see.

I also had new body panels fabricated and I think I'm just going to Rhino line them. I don't want it to rust again. I think I can get colored Rhino lining. Then I had the seat frame pieces sand blasted, and I primed and painted them. Next is a new clutch and probably carb. When it's all back together I'm just going to drive it around for awhile then make a decision about what to do with it then.
ml41887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #26
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Thanks man, and I would like the part number for the clutch.
Check you private messages
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #27
Mitymouse
Not Yet Wild

I just picked up one of these about 1 month ago. It is a 2005 with 750 hours. It appears that mine has a the same issues with the CV joints. I am going to have to replace/repair them soon and my front driveshaft has some play in it. Also the clutch seems to get stuck in the fully disengaged position and when you first start it up, you have to rev it a little to get it to grab the belt which is does somewhat violently. After it is warmed up it is ok but will do the same thing the next time you start it up.

However, this thing has been unstoppable so far. It has gone everywhere has great brakes and pulls a trailer that is between 1500 and 2000 lbs without a problem at all. Also hauls a full bed load of firewood without any strain.

The only comment is the rear suspension is very stiff resulting in a rough ride, but if a load is on it rides pretty decent.
Mitymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #28
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitymouse View Post
It appears that mine has a the same issues with the CV joints. I am going to have to replace/repair them soon and my front driveshaft has some play in it. Also the clutch seems to get stuck in the fully disengaged position and when you first start it up, you have to rev it a little to get it to grab the belt which is does somewhat violently. After it is warmed up it is ok but will do the same thing the next time you start it up.
Look at the option of getting your CV's rebuilt instead of purchasing new ones. Mine ran $120 per side, a heck of a lot cheaper than EZGO's new ones at $254 each. My guy here in Tampa got a bunch of the replacement parts in for these - PM me if you want the info.

That style of clutch seems to have this issue - my new one does the same thing. Smooth once it's warmed up a bit, but sticks a little when cold.

I moved a little trailer I'm working on around the yard yesterday - they do work great for that! Had it attached to the front coupler and was able to manipulate it easily. Lost a little traction going over a stump - hit the rear locker and over it went! Lets see some pictures of that thing!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #29
Mitymouse
Not Yet Wild

Here are a couple of quick pictures. I will get more once i give it a good cleaning this weekend.

I read somewhere that someone added an extra washer on the clutch bolt to prevent the clutch from opening as far which prevented it from sticking. I have yet to try this but it sounds like it makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGO1.jpg (102.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg EZGO2.jpg (115.1 KB, 35 views)
Mitymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

What size tires are on that thing?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts