lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Here I go again! EZGO 4x4 project

That thing is cool. I want one!

shmo
shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Well, on to the next issue (or issues), the CV shafts up front. I got the whole front end pulled apart with no big surprises. Looks like a pair of brake shoes and a couple of new rack-n-pinon ends are in order. The lower ball joints felt smooth and tight - so I got that going for me!

Now removing those CV Shafts - no luck yet. I need these off without trashing them so they can be rebuilt, but they just don't want to come off! I tried a 32 inch crow-bar and they did not budge. If anyone has experience is removing these on this type of cart, please let me know! It does have a "Team" drive-train / Diff much like a Polaris. Ideas??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVs4x4.jpg (149.1 KB, 71 views)
garydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

I have finally gotten the CV shafts off. Just like they say, you almost have to pound them off.

They do have a circle-clip that helps hold them on. Now if it supposed to stay in the CV or on the Diff output shaft, I’m not certain. For future reference (anyone else getting one of these), here’s my tips on how to get stuck CV shafts off.
• You must have the proper tool – A 3LB slide hammer with an “Inner CV Joint Puller, Inner CV Joint Puller” from NAPA at about $25.
• Because my boots were trashed, I dismissible the CV at the differential cup (plunge CV) – there is a little snap-ring that holds the shaft in – just pop-it out with a small screw driver.
• Once out, I cleaned the inside with brake clean.
• Now grab the cup and get a feel for the way it moves on the Diff shaft. Mine was pretty solid. I concluded it was gummed or rusted on the splines. I took a small mechanics hammer and gave it some medium taps on the side, turned it, tap, turn and tap until I could feel it loosen on the splines. I also tapped it in and out. Luckily, the little “button cap” came off of one of them (see the picture) giving me the opportunity to spray cleaner and some blaster directly on the clip.
• Now it’s slide hammer time. The first side came off surprisingly easy (about 6 or 7 hits). The other side took about an hour of yanking, positioning, yanking (repeat).
Now it’s off to the locale CV rebuilder. I can’t wait to mark these off my list!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-06-13_22-20-52_205.jpg (128.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-13_22-20-57_806.jpg (109.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-13_22-21-42_37.jpg (141.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-13_22-22-11_201.jpg (134.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Got some new front brake pads for the project. For future reference, ST4x4 owners can save big bucks by ordering these direct form Wildwood. EZGO web site has these at $88 a set, getting them direct is $33.

Part Number: 150-8990K - Wildwood: 805-388-1188

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-06-18_08-57-59_576.jpg (114.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-18_08-58-50_374.jpg (96.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-18_08-58-39_304.jpg (96.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
tycranston
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This thing looks like some fun!!! I want one.
tycranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Boy, as you get into these things they do take on a life of their own! That's the neat thing of a fluid project.

Got some work done last week; installed a new fuel gauge sending unit and the gas gauge works fine. Upped the spring PSI in the primary clutch and I feel we are getting closer to where that needs to be.

My original thoughts were to change the locker actuators to a pneumatic setup, but upon closer inspection I found the front one was was still good, just out of adjustment. With that being the case, I just replaced the rear actuator and we are good to go.

Still waiting for my CV shafts to get rebuilt. It sound's like the wrong parts came in and the proper ones have to be shipped from New York. Next time around I'll attempt rebuilding these myself. Patching the CVT cover is next on the list. YeeHaa!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have seen these things pull a 7 gang Reel Mower out of a muhole... and that was Bone stock! Sounds like yours is really gonna be nice once completed.

I always thought it was neat that you can almost pick which tires are gonna be "pulling" on these through careful selection of the switches/lever.....

I still have the manuals from when I did the training course from E-Z-GO on repairing these beasts ..... Honda made us go through an extra day of training to make sure we could do a complete tear down and rebuild of the engine before they would certify us to do warranty work on their product...... It's a shame E-Z-GO couldn't get a good market on them, I know Tractor Supply was selling them brand new for under $10k
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

A bit of an update; Finally got the shafts back from the re-builder a couple weeks ago. He had a heck of a time tracking down the balls and races, but they came back tight and ready to go! I hit them with some fresh Rustoleum and they popped right on!

This gave me time to address the strut issue again - I decided to make "drop brackets" to let the struts be placed higher in the mounts. A lot of measuring on this to make certain aliment would be correct. Using a Bi-metal hole saw (3.875), I cut the factory mount so the strut would come through. This worked decent on the first mount, but the saw dulled-out half way through on the second - that 1/4 steel is tough with such a big saw, I can still smell my poor drill! I cut the spacers (4x4 -.250) and top mounts, finished bolting it together with some grade-8's - did not turn out too bad. I can now adjust the front height by a longer of shorter spacer. We dropped it by about 1.5" to start with. I can fine tune with the new tires and rear lift. Did a quick toe-in alignment and off we went! Drives good!

So far, climbed the old back-yard dirt pile - really neat, made it about half-way up in standard drive before loss of traction, 4WD, all locked in, up and over!

Now the tire debacle - thinking 27"s with the same tread design (Carlisle AT489's) but I like the design of the Bighorns - then again, being 4-wheel drive... staying less aggressive may be better... I'm gonna have to think on this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVSaftsDone.jpg (92.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg mounthole.jpg (85.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg mounttop.jpg (94.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg mountsdone.jpg (54.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg sideviewR.jpg (60.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydee View Post

So far, climbed the old back-yard dirt pile - really neat, made it about half-way up in standard drive before loss of traction, 4WD, all locked in, up and over!
Oh let's not forget about the pine tree.

I had a pine tree go down in one of our last storms. Someone decided it was a good idea to climb over the pine tree. That cart pulled itself up and over and then high centered on the tree. All four wheels were spinning. I was on the porch grilling and saw the whole thing. I laughed so hard. Then he puts it in reverse and it sits there and spins. I had to step on the back of the cart to get it enough balance to climb backward over the tree. We both had another beer and discussed how to do it again.

Unfortunately I didn't have my phone with me so there was no pics. But had I known, I would have.
sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
LBZ_Duramax
Not Yet Wild

Those dont look like polaris struts as they use a Mcphearson strut setup. Those look like a Kawasaki Praire 360 4WD strut.
LBZ_Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts