lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
cmcallison
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 99 Club Car DS hot resistor question

I purchased a 48V 99 club car DS a few months ago and noticed the big solenoid resistor was burned up but the cart ran fine. I have been doing some minor upgrades and cleaning up some wires. I just added a new solenoid and resistor and the same thing is happening. As soon as I hooked up the batteries the new resistor started burning (smelled it immediately). The cart ran fine before all this with a burned up resistor and still does with the new one (or without it bc I took it off to test). Everything I have read said there may be a short in the controller. If there is in fact a short in the controller, will the cart run? At a loss - do I even need the resistor?
cmcallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 99 Club Car DS hot resistor question

Yes you need it. It sounds like something is activating the solenoid, creating heat.

Tell us more about the cart. Drive system etc.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
cmcallison
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Listed is the drive info , cart history and some ongoing upgrades and repairs.
1999 Clubcar
Curtis PMC Controller, Model 1204-410 , 36-48 volt, 225 amp.
Motor is Buggies Unlimited, 4.7 HP, Class H, 48 volt, Model 170-007-0002A.
48 Volt Battery pack (6x8volt batteries) and are in good condition, Cables in good condition.
V-Glide (not MCOR), no motor mounted speed sensor, no regen.

Purchased cart in early Spring from a private seller and have used it daily with few problems.
I added an LED light kit that was more or less plug and play. The power source for lights is direct connection to battery Pos and Neg, activated by a light switch and not connected to keyed cart switch. and is isolated from drive system. I mention the LED lights because in my quest to resolve resistor problem LED lights were a suspect for resistor issue and beyond my understanding.
At some point the body was grounded and conducting voltage thru it. After replacing several random marginal wires and clean up of connectors that problem was resolved.

Random problems I have had that led to resistor problem was on occasion cart would stop but after cycling all controls go again. I have made many 10 to 12 mile drives with no problems but on occasion it stalls. So I decided to change solenoid to a heavier version. I discovered the existing solenoid was a 36 volt solenoid which was a surprise being it is a 48 volts system. On testing this 36 volt solenoid it would click and close the circuit but randomly fail to close. I was sure I had discovered stall issue. Installed and tested new 48 volts solenoid with a 470 ohm 10watt resistor and a new diode. I reconnected battery pack went forward and backward in garage, solenoid clicking as it should then smelled resistor getting smoky hot and I disconnected battery pack. This is where I have stopped . I did order a few extra resistors trying to rule out a bad one. I should add that the old 36volt solenoid resistor had melted thru the plastic covering. Also I have tested all micro switches, took F/R switch apart inspected and cleaned. Cart has not been driven since this problem occurred , Prior to that cart runs about 17 mph. I have read about everything Google has to offer concerning Hot Resistors. My questions , has this cart been running for the last several months with a burned up resistor on that original 36 volt solenoid, is the controller probably bad but still allows cart to function. If controller is bad and will need to be replaced why not operate it until it is totally inoperative assuming it does not damage other drive system components. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, CMC
cmcallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Couple things. The resistor has nothing to do with the operation of the cart. It keeps the controller "juiced up" with a small amount of current at all times so it won't have to be re-energized each time you press the GO pedal.

A failed/failing solenoid will cause this resistor to heat up as the system tries to draw enough current to run through the resistor because the solenoid is not operating, or not operating properly. I would try another solenoid and see what happens.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, club car, hot, resistor, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car