lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #11
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: A-Arm Coilover Conversion

Well.....Good and Bad News

The good new is that last night I got the coilovers installed and the cart back on the ground, the rear is still stock. Took it for a few laps up and down my driveway and through one of the empty lots in my subdivision. The ride is a lot better! The cart no longer 3 wheels while going up the curb at the end of my driveway.

The bad news is that the coilovers are 1-2" to long, the upper control arms at full droop hits the top of the frame so actually getting the coilover mounted to the UCA was a pain in the @$$, I had to compress the coilover in order to get it installed.

The spring rating of the coilover is to much, even with the preload adjustment set to the lowest setting the coilover only compresses about 3/4" when the cart is on the ground and being as the UCA is only about 1/8-3/16" from the frame at ride height when you hit a big bump and the suspension rebounds it causes the UCA to tap the frame causing a noise. Another issue is the bushings on the coilovers are complete garbage. You also get a little body roll but nothing thats terrible.

With that being said if someone could find a good quality coilovers that is the correct length and correct spring rating it would be a awesome upgrade. I will continue to do more research and looking for options but being as we just got the cart a little over 3 weeks ago, at this time im not going to keep spending money on this experiment because there is so many other mods im wanting to do to the cart. Once i finish with everything else ill start the experimenting again.

Here is the cart with the DS Front on my ramp.

Here is the cart with the DS Front & PS Rear on my ramps.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (192.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (200.4 KB, 0 views)
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
The bad news is that the coilovers are 1-2" to long, the upper control arms at full droop hits the top of the frame so actually getting the coilover mounted to the UCA was a pain in the @$$, I had to compress the coilover in order to get it installed.

What is they eye to eye length on those coil overs? Do you need 1" shorter or 2" shorter.

Remember that a softer spring rate will sag more too, so plan on the ride height being slightly lower.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
What is they eye to eye length on those coil overs? Do you need 1" shorter or 2" shorter.

Remember that a softer spring rate will sag more too, so plan on the ride height being slightly lower.
Eye to eye is 250mm/9.84". I had a buddy of mine with a 08 CCP with a AS 6" A-Arm Lift measure the eye to eye length of his shocks at ride height and its 8". I didn't think to measure the eye to eye length of the coilover at ride height but I will tonight.

As for ride height with a softer spring rate, yes that's true but currently i believe the ride height of the cart with these coilovers is higher than it would be with the leaf springs due to how close the UCAs are to the frame so with a lower spring rate I believe it would be closer to the height with the leaf springs. Also most coilovers have a spanner nut or adjustable collar to adjust the preload on the spring which increase the spring rate so I think with an adjustable 200-300lb coilover would be ideal.

Ive got tons of experience around suspensions as i do mechanic work on the side and most of that work is suspension work(leveling kits, lift kits, drop kits). For example the adjustable coilovers i have on the front of my F150 have 700lb coils on them. Do you really think a 900lb cart needs 400lb coils where my 5500lb truck has 700lb coils?

Wayne
Old 12-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #14
HogKiller
Gone Wild

This is no man's land, so not surprised the first attempt needs tweaking. But I'm watching and cheering and hoping this works for you, cause I want it to work for me, too!
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Bigjmain
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Eye to eye is 250mm/9.84". I had a buddy of mine with a 08 CCP with a AS 6" A-Arm Lift measure the eye to eye length of his shocks at ride height and its 8". I didn't think to measure the eye to eye length of the coilover at ride height but I will tonight.

As for ride height with a softer spring rate, yes that's true but currently i believe the ride height of the cart with these coilovers is higher than it would be with the leaf springs due to how close the UCAs are to the frame so with a lower spring rate I believe it would be closer to the height with the leaf springs. Also most coilovers have a spanner nut or adjustable collar to adjust the preload on the spring which increase the spring rate so I think with an adjustable 200-300lb coilover would be ideal.

Ive got tons of experience around suspensions as i do mechanic work on the side and most of that work is suspension work(leveling kits, lift kits, drop kits). For example the adjustable coilovers i have on the front of my F150 have 700lb coils on them. Do you really think a 900lb cart needs 400lb coils where my 5500lb truck has 700lb coils?

Wayne
Thanks for the feedback! what about a 9 inch? This looks to have a 350lb rate for the pair??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26334012743...m=263340127430
Bigjmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #16
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjmain View Post
Thanks for the feedback! what about a 9 inch? This looks to have a 350lb rate for the pair??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26334012743...m=263340127430
9" still might be a little long but with a low spring rate you can adjust they may work. Where do you see it says they are 350lb? At the bottom it says 110kg which is 242lb which might be pretty good. I noticed it has the large sleeves in the bushings like the ones i got so you will need to make new sleeves like i did.

Wayne
Old 12-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #17
Bigjmain
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
9" still might be a little long but with a low spring rate you can adjust they may work. Where do you see it says they are 350lb? At the bottom it says 110kg which is 242lb which might be pretty good. I noticed it has the large sleeves in the bushings like the ones i got so you will need to make new sleeves like i did.

Wayne
You are correct, my conversion was way off! I'm going to verify spring rate with the seller. Not sure how to calculate this!

Spring Rate:1lbs/0.0026inch
Old 12-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #18
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
This is no man's land, so not surprised the first attempt needs tweaking. But I'm watching and cheering and hoping this works for you, cause I want it to work for me, too!
I agree, its very doable! The problem is i doesnt have access to a warehouse full of different size coilovers to try. Having to buy them for experimenting purposes makes it a little harder. I didnt mind spending $40 on the ones i bought because ive blown $40 on dumber **** before but im not about to go spend $100+ on something that might not work ya know.

Wayne
Old 12-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #19
minimac
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What are the coil overs from? They look to be too short for a car, but heavier than on my motorcycles. Are the springs changeable?
minimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
Bigjmain
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I agree, its very doable! The problem is i doesnt have access to a warehouse full of different size coilovers to try. Having to buy them for experimenting purposes makes it a little harder. I didnt mind spending $40 on the ones i bought because ive blown $40 on dumber **** before but im not about to go spend $100+ on something that might not work ya know.

Wayne
The stock shocks are 7 1/4" compressed and 10" extended if that helps...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car