lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Should I be able to easily compress my Precedent shocks by hand?

I realize shocks for golf carts are more like dampers, but I'm looking for the little gains I can find to make this thing more comfortable off-road.

Should I be able to easily compress my 201 Precedent Monroe shocks by hand? The cart is 11 years old. I don't know how old the shocks are. I'm wondering if replacing them would soften my ride on the super bumpy stuff.

HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Should I be able to easily compress my Precedent shocks by hand?

I can on mine, for what it's worth. They'll only reduce bounce, not soften, that's the spring's job. You went with the HD rears, didn't you?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
I can on mine, for what it's worth. They'll only reduce bounce, not soften, that's the spring's job. You went with the HD rears, didn't you?
I used HD rear leafs for exactly one hunting trip. They were afugginjoke. Jolted all my fillings out. Swapped single leafs in, and it’s GTG.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Bump
Old 11-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The recipe for a good ride is "soft springs, stiff shocks, long travel". Off the shelf stuff isn't going to get it done, you're going to have to go custom. I've been playing with different coil overs and springs etc for years and years. Leaf springs are the hardest to get right. Coil overs are the easiest since you can buy adjustable ones that have rebound and compression adjustment. The springs on the coil overs can be changed, that's where things get complicated.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

club car shocks suk, thats for sure
I have a lift kit on my cart so I was able to ditch the 6in shocks on the rear for a set of 12 inch shocks for a 77 AMC Pacer laugh if you want they work great...... I learned about the ride in my golf cart from the old timers on this forum I won't mention any names,y'all know who you are. But I got rid of the 14" rims, and put a set of 10" rims on.....what a change that made....... all of my friends are always complimenting me on the ride, we will be riding down the street and out of nowhere they will say.....dang this thing rides nice!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180128_075233.jpg (218.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180128_075205.jpg (155.1 KB, 0 views)
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
club car shocks suk, thats for sure
I have a lift kit on my cart so I was able to ditch the 6in shocks on the rear for a set of 12 inch shocks for a 77 AMC Pacer laugh if you want they work great...... I learned about the ride in my golf cart from the old timers on this forum I won't mention any names,y'all know who you are. But I got rid of the 14" rims, and put a set of 10" rims on.....what a change that made....... all of my friends are always complimenting me on the ride, we will be riding down the street and out of nowhere they will say.....dang this thing rides nice!!!
Bet that's completely badazz. I wish there was a turnkey suspension solution for the rear on my Precedent. I have neither the time nor the inclination to fab something myself, but I sure would pay for it.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

the rear shocks on my cart, was a very simple fix all I had to do was move the shock plate that was on top, to the bottom, which allows for the longer shock.

I also had a friend that worked at AZ, and allowed me to try out many different shocks which is how I came across the AMC Pacer shocks....
The trouble with the club cars is the way they are set up to begin with, you don't get much articulation, I did all of this work gain more articulation, and all it did was put more strain on the engine cradle, and stressed the belt., I had to make a change,Hence the long shocks....and they work awesome, I had so much grain on the back of my cart that it was hard to steer because of the front wheels being almost off the ground..... I am so glad that I do have four leaf springs...... but I also have 10 inch rims to counterbalance the stiffness created from the leaf springs......I love my cart.....

SIDE NOTE
when I think of a hog killer, I think of Ted Nugent..... shooting pigs from a helicopter with a badas$ assault rifle......having a hunting lease in South Texas that a few friends and myself share, I have than killed my share wild game. You want a rush? shoot a javelina with a bow.....thats a rush!! Sounds brave....its not..... to many beers.....I did have my buddy standing behind me with a Smith & Wesson 500...... still haven't got my buck this year.....
Old 11-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #9
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Just 4 you.......

Old 11-28-2020, 11:12 PM   #10
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
You want a rush? shoot a javelina with a bow.....thats a rush!!
You want a rush? Drink a 6-pack of Australian beer, then set out across the outback bush in a flatbed with some crazy New Zealander driving, and jump off at 35 kph when you find the pig the dogs cornered. Dive into the middle of the madness with your killing knife and get the job done.

That's a rush.

I'll take pig killing any way I can get it. Have fun out there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts