lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Possibly better Muffler

While dragging Workhorse frames out of the woods at a local golf course, I noticed a greens mower there stashed in the woods It has a Vanguard V-Twin in it. As someone who plays golf, they are generally pretty quiet. Next trip back, I'm going to yank the muffler off it see if it fits the predator we'll find out. If anyone else is try this?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Possibly better Muffler

I wouldn't think it would fit without modification. Quiet? A vtwin will always be louder than a golf.cart engine. Not sure if you can make a vtwin quiet. Smaller pipe diameter with baffled muffler will be the quietest, but you'll sacrifice power and torque.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Won't know till I try. The super said the machines generally fail for a lot of reasons other than the engine. He has several of these as well. I might have a source for some used Vanguard twins...who knows...I have my work cut out for me now...

Time to do some research on the machines to see what is in there. Jacobson GK 5 1995 or 2000+ Need to get my eyes back on the machines to find tags to verify ages. Should be able to search them in general to find what motor is in them.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The toro I ran had a big coffee can muffler maybe 6in long or something, it was a vanny 14hp they were fairly quiet. IMO a single is always louder. Those greens mowers we rebuilt I think they would last forever even the old kohler ones, we put new shortblocks in them every 3-4 years the vanny would last longer. But Jac equipment is cheaper and not as good. The quietest muffler I ever found was off a 4cyl diesel around 45hp. It was car muffler shape I used it on a 8hp single generator it was very quiet. Someone snagged it I don't know where it went. But it was car muffler size too, maybe thinner, oval shape.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The guy that does the floors at the Food Lion has a propane v-twin floor machine. You can stand next to it and have a conversation.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
IMO a single is always louder.
I had a stock G16 engine that was the quietest engine I've ever heard. It was a single cylinder 301cc I believe. So, it depends on the engine and the muffler. My stock 16 Vanguard with a cam and tractor muffler is quieter than my lawn mower with a nearly new Kohler twin commercial engine. My pressure washer is the loudest and it's a GX390 Honda lol. Each one of these engines have different mufflers.

In my experimentations, when used on the same engine.....the quietest muffler will have the most restriction and will feel like it's robbing more power than a louder muffler. But, louder doesn't always equal more power. In some cases, the muffler with the least restriction or loudest sound might make less power.

With mixing engines, mods, and carts, it's really a trial and error process of finding what works best for you. My idea of quiet might be different than yours, so you just have to try something and see if you like it.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:24 AM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Oh yes my stock G9 was very quiet, but I don't think my finger would fit in the outlet tailpipe either. I was tempted to run parallel G9 mufflers on my clone, but after some thought I didn't want it that quiet really for safety reasons. Sometimes a little noise is better.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For what its worth, I grabbed that muffler off the vanguard 18 that was in the greens mower...doesn't fit the Predator 670. Close though...top holes on the flanges could be made to work but would need to rotate the two pipes. Flanges on the Predator are almost vertical, while the Vanguard flanges are rotated in a bit at the bottom. I might cut the pipes and weld them to fit and give it a try at some point, but too much to do for now.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
Theotherside
Not Yet Wild

What are you guys using to get the exhaust out from under the cart ? I need an 1 1/4” ID flexible something that won’t melt.
Theotherside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherside View Post
What are you guys using to get the exhaust out from under the cart ? I need an 1 1/4” ID flexible something that won’t melt.
Currently, nothing. I have a Vegas Carts header and muffler that simply mounts to the engine that directs the exhaust across the rear of the motor and down over the transaxle. If you support it off the frame, you will need a flex pipe, I haven't used one and not familiar where they can acquired from. I think if you run a support off the transaxle or motor mount, it can be fixed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!