lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Experience with Color Bond LVP to paint vinyl seats?

I want to change my seat color from the factory beige to something like grey or black. New front and rear seats are way out of my price range just ago change colors. $150 eBay seat covers plus an electric staple gun I don't own plus an untold number of hours of my time does not sound like a lot of fun.

Google mentioned this company called Color Bond, who makes a vinyl spray paint and has a few solid testimonials on their website from golf cart owners. There are a couple old BGW threads that mention Color Bond, but just passing references.

Had a phone call with ColorBond and they said their paint meets OEM standards regarding colorfastness and fading, and that it will not transition to clothing if applied correctly. They advertise that it will not flake, crack, or peel.

Three cans of paint and one bottle of cleaner gets it done for about $60.

Any thoughts?

https://www.colorbondpaint.com/blogs...5fa67847&_ss=r
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Re: Experience with Color Bond LVP to paint vinyl seats?

Old 10-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

I cannot say anything about that product, but I've used SEM vinyl coating repeatedly and love it. Years ago I converted an avocado green Dodge Monaco interior to tan with it. More recently I have done a beige seat set to black, and a stained and faded floor mat to a fresh black look. No adhesion promotor used. One can was juuuuuust enough to do the seat top and bottom. Landau black has a bit more gloss to it than the matte black. I can take pics if you're in need.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
I want to change my seat color from the factory beige to something like grey or black. New front and rear seats are way out of my price range just ago change colors. $150 eBay seat covers plus an electric staple gun I don't own plus an untold number of hours of my time does not sound like a lot of fun.
You could always try to re-color them first. If that doesn't work, or fails down the road, you could use the e-Bay covers.
For crying out loud, you can buy a Dewalt 4 inch heavy duty stapler for about $19.00 at the big box store and a few more dollars for a box of staples. I have one and it works great.
Unless you're brain dead you can knock those seats out in a day. They are preformed (preshaped) so you don't have to do a lot of trimming. It isn't rocket science OR a submarine.
My thoughts.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

No way am I spending $60 for some sort of paint for seats when I can recover them with nice new material for about twice that.

How much time will you spend taping these things off trying to do it on the cart? How will you keep from getting it on things from all those angles? You will have to take them off. If you are taking them off you might as well recover them. I have an electric stapler but I don't even use it. A good manual one works fine.

Check out "UPTOPAR" Golf cart covers.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Thanks for the re-covering thoughts. I agree it's close to a toss up for some. I hate fabric work, and the feeling appears to be mutual. Am intimately familiar with cans of spray paint. Gonna stay on this side of the fence for now.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Agree with SEM dye. I’ve used it plenty of times with great results
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
For crying out loud . . . .
FWIW after talking to now 3 industry pros about installing seat covers, literally no one is suggesting using your hand stapler idea.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
FWIW after talking to now 3 industry pros about installing seat covers, literally no one is suggesting using your hand stapler idea.
Not sure how to take your comment. It sounds a little harsh.
I would never expert any of your industry pros to use a hand stapler. They use pneumatic staplers for obvious reasons. I have one of those, too.
Did they tell you that a hand stapler would not work or that it is not their preferred method?
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #10
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Did they tell you that a hand stapler would not work or that it is not their preferred method?
They said it wouldn't work. I have no idea. This thread is about seat PAINT!

I think I'm going to give the Color Bond a try if it looks like a 75º day is in my future.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car