lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Default Ignition Electronics fried, bad voltage regulator?

So last year by boss got an ez go from a friend that didn’t run. He took it to a dealer and they installed some “electrical parts” according to him. Cart ran good for a while and then quit, it got parked until I came along. I determined the cart had low compression and had it rebuilt, and had a new/refurbished pulsar installed by whoever rebuilt it. After installing reman engine it still didn’t run. Determined weak spark, replaced coil and igniter and it ran GREAT for a while. Then it started shutting off and now won’t start at all. Zero spark, even worse than before. I think what fried this both times was the voltage regulator being bad. It looks like it is original and the cart has a ton of hours. I tested coil to diagnose spark 4 ohms primary and 11k ohms secondary. Well within spec. I tested the pulsar, and got 18.7 ohms and only .110 ac volts on the 2 volt setting. Does this mean the pulsar was burned out? I assume the igniter was burned out as well? Any advice would be very much appreciated
Largemouth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ignition Electronics fried, bad voltage regulator?

Pulser
It generates about 1/2 volt AC
Yours shows very low but it is generating something.
Read post 10 here
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152100
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Pulser
It generates about 1/2 volt AC
Yours shows very low but it is generating something.
Read post 10 here
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152100
Is it possible for the voltage regulator to burn out the pulsar? It ran good when it ran but I never measured a spec
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largemouth21 View Post
Is it possible for the voltage regulator to burn out the pulsar? It ran good when it ran but I never measured a spec
I have never had a V/R be bad and cause your problem.
Maybe you can find another known good pulser and see what happens. It should generate 1/2 volt AC if you got it set correct. What did yours ohm ? Something close to the picture I uploaded ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulser ohm.jpg (206.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I have never had a V/R be bad and cause your problem.
Maybe you can find another known good pulser and see what happens. It should generate 1/2 volt AC if you got it set correct. What did yours ohm ? Something close to the picture I uploaded ?
Mine was 18.7 ohms, if the voltage regulator was overcharging it can burn out ignition parts from what I’ve heard, I should’ve checked the battery voltage, somebody else on here reported like 16 volts when at full throttle due to a faulty regulator. Does this mean my pulsar is good? It had like .1 instead of .5 for current when cranking, but it ran fine before
Old 10-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Mine was 18.7 ohms, if the voltage regulator was overcharging it can burn out ignition parts from what I’ve heard, I should’ve checked the battery voltage, somebody else on here reported like 16 volts when at full throttle due to a faulty regulator. Does this mean my pulsar is good? It had like .1 instead of .5 for current when cranking, but it ran fine before
You are out of range on the ohms but not by much. With your DVOM The manual said to place the - probe on the red and white wire coming from pulser and the + probe of meter on black wire. The reading should be from 19 to 21 ohms.
Did you check the pulser with a feeler gauge?
I can't say for sure about overcharging causing a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulser setting.jpg (58.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Near anything 12v should be spec to roughly 10-15v range. Outside that range things may not work. Some people on here had VR that was going over 15v and accessories were freaking out. Some carts have solid state VR that turn on and off and can go over 15v when on, they turn on/off slow you can see headlights get bright and dim blinking. I've seen 15v charge in my car (car not cart) before but only after start up in very cold weather, you need more charge voltage in cold weather below freezing. It did not stay that high very long.

Most carts the generator will make higher voltage at high rpm, so if you have modded the cart to run higher rpm or run high speeds things burning out could be more likely from high voltage over 15v or so. Its doubtful they would make high voltage at 12mph and less or would be brief climbing a hill/etc. Seems like you would need a faulty VR to have that happen but check it to be sure.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Near anything 12v should be spec to roughly 10-15v range. Outside that range things may not work. Some people on here had VR that was going over 15v and accessories were freaking out. Some carts have solid state VR that turn on and off and can go over 15v when on, they turn on/off slow you can see headlights get bright and dim blinking. I've seen 15v charge in my car (car not cart) before but only after start up in very cold weather, you need more charge voltage in cold weather below freezing. It did not stay that high very long.

Most carts the generator will make higher voltage at high rpm, so if you have modded the cart to run higher rpm or run high speeds things burning out could be more likely from high voltage over 15v or so. Its doubtful they would make high voltage at 12mph and less or would be brief climbing a hill/etc. Seems like you would need a faulty VR to have that happen but check it to be sure.
I’m thinking that’s what it could be because the ignition parts are on their third replacement, they keep getting burnt out. Once they’re replaced they work great for a while and burn out again
Old 11-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I’m thinking that’s what it could be because the ignition parts are on their third replacement, they keep getting burnt out. Once they’re replaced they work great for a while and burn out again
Which parts are you referring to ?
When it is running did you check to see how many volts this cart is charging ?
Where are getting these parts ?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #10
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Which parts are you referring to ?
When it is running did you check to see how many volts this cart is charging ?
Where are getting these parts ?
Igniter and coil, I bought them from a reputable website (not eBay) and it ran great for a while. The issue is it keeps burning them out. I didn’t check to see what it was charging at, my fault. Will replace igniter, voltage regulator, and pulsar and see if it runs. The coil tested good
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO