lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard Vtwin 16hp with cam and rev kit

I upgraded to 4g cables, so I wonder if that wil help. The jumper cables I used to start it up on the bench were cheap thin ones, don't even know the gauge. And the cable from the solenoid to the starter was a little guy too. I upgraded that one and the battery cables to 4g. Also new battery with 700 cca.

I haven't fired it up in the cart yet, that's today. I ran short on time yesterday. I bought a new solenoid and I can't get it to "click". It's an Autozone special, universal tractor style. I'll have to switch back to the old one. $12 wasted
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Have you installed the high torque starter before? I'll take the bolts, I'm sure I'll need them for the upgrade right?
Yeah, I did it in '16. There's some sheet metal trimming involved, but it wasn't too bad. The HD starter is much larger...

I'll get those bolts out to you...

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Dave those pics help a lot thanks! And let me know what you need for the bolts!
Old 10-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Got the solenoid switched out, works perfect. Actually the starter works pretty decent, it is a HD replacement starter I got at a local dealer not that long ago, made by AEP. But it seems to start just fine for now. So maybe the larger cables worked? I'll put the HD starter on the list though.

Running wise this thing runs great! It will idle as low as 800 rpm and it has a bit of a lope down that low. Sounds like a Harley. Right now no muffler so its a bit loud, but not awful.

Power wise it's good. Definitely not 23hp with VM32 power....not even close....but good for a 16hp engine. I do believe the cam makes a good bit of difference. It's a little doggy off the line, I'm betting that's carburetor related. As I said this carb is not in that good of condition. But it runs great.

Speed wise, I broke 40 mph for sure, didn't have my gps on me though so I'll get a speed run later. It accelerates to 3600 rpm easily and keeps climbing, even with the small carb. I topped out at 6000 rpm and lifted. At that rpm using the calculator I got 40 mph, so I'll have to see. It felt fast. Sounded good at that rpm too.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #15
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes you will need the high torque starter as you lose your compression release with the cam I see someone already posted the thread longer bolts and trim the sheet metal on the flywheel side the cam specs are 310 lift and 250 duration. I lube mine with comp cams lube before installation and broke it in varying the speed and have had no problems
PS I just gotta say this .... your the first guy I’ve ever heard saying he had “too much power “ lol
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKERMIKEYBLACK View Post
PS I just gotta say this .... your the first guy I’ve ever heard saying he had “too much power “ lol
Yeah I know. It was just right for me, man did it get up to speed quickly. I found 4000 rpm in a matter of seconds. But it wasn't easy enough to drive for the wife amd kids amd wasn't getting used. This 16hp engine feels right for them. They liked it before when I had it in the cart, but hated the 23. So....that's it lol
Old 10-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #17
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I totally get that , my cart is too much for my wife plus because it’s lifted 6 inches is squirrley too and brakes are not that great...discs are coming down the road
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #18
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You are a brave man Slo. Buzzing that engine to 6K with the cast flywheel with all those glued in magnets plus the cast aluminum bearing less connecting rods. More courage than I would have
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
You are a brave man Slo. Buzzing that engine to 6K with the cast flywheel with all those glued in magnets plus the cast aluminum bearing less connecting rods. More courage than I would have
I don't really drive it like that, it was just a test. Why put a rev kit on it if you don't rev it? I think the magnets have screws in them for some reason. I didn't specifically look for that, I just remember seeing screws. Hmmm
Old 10-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is sort of the opposite view of your 8/19/2019 comment on my "$999 23 Hp vanguard engine" thread ? Take a look. They are certainly glued in.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!