lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Vanguard Vtwin 16hp with cam and rev kit

Had this 1995 Briggs Vanguard 16hp engine from a Cub Cadet lawn tractor and it needed freshened up before I put it back in the G1.

I took it apart, cleaned and inspected the inside. Looked really good and clean. Had a thin layer of dark sludge at the bottom of the case, but no metal.

Removed the governor and trimmed the fork off the shaft and reinstalled the shaft as it was before. This will still hold the throttle arm for my linkage setup.
I simply just cut the fork part off with a cut off wheel. This also saves the step of tapping the hole and using a bolt.

The rev kit was already installed previously by me, before I switched to the 23 engine. It's a CPP kit. Good quality kit and it was super easy to install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201019_190805.jpg (295.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201019_193446.jpg (261.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201019_193455.jpg (255.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201019_195829.jpg (216.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201019_200153.jpg (192.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard Vtwin 16hp with cam and rev kit

Installed the CPP cam. It's difficult to tell but it is larger than the stock cam. I don't have the specs on this cam, but I'm sure CPP has them. I'll look into that.

These engines are very easy to work on. Especially if you have a nice mobile work bench and a roll around seat. I usually switch from standing to sitting multiple times during engine work.

One of my favorite tools when working on engines is the compact battery powered impact drill with the 3/8" socket adapter. It sure makes takedown super quick and easy. Don't use the impact drill when installing the bolts, unless you are super careful. I always use anti seize and a torque wrench. All my torque specs come from the Briggs manual, which I highly encourage getting when you work on one of these engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201019_202908.jpg (228.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201019_202913.jpg (219.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201019_202919.jpg (315.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201019_203433.jpg (295.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201019_225506.jpg (368.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I cleaned the carb out, which is very easy on these by the way. The single barrel carb doesn't need to be removed to clean it. There are 4 philips bolts on the top of the carb that come off. Then the entire top of the carb comes off and reveals everything you need to rebuild the carb and/or clean it. The float isn't even held in with any screws or anything, it just pops right out. The pilot jet is right there on top and can be removed with a small slotted screwdriver.

I'm sorry I didn't take any pics of the carb, but here are some I found on the internet. Same deal.

I also took the liberty of installing a new fuel pump as pictured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vanguard 16 carb 1.jpg (56.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Vanguard 16 carb 2.jpg (6.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Vanguard 16 carb 3.jpg (8.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Vanguard 16 carb 4.jpg (7.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg fuel pump.jpeg (110.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I changed the oil filter and filled the engine with a good synthetic oil and some zinc additive. Installed new NGK spark plugs. Poured a little gas down the throat of the carb. Clamped the engine down to the work bench. Grabbed my jumper box and BOOM, she fired right up! I didn't have to tune the carb or anything. Purrs like a kitten. Very smooth.

My impressions of the idle: it sounds really really good, even with no muffler. It sounds like a motorcycle. Definitely better than stock! It idles nice and low. I kept adjusting the idle down and I got it to where it just stays running. I'm betting it's below 1000 rpm, but I can't be sure until it's installed in the cart.

My impressions of the rev: IT REVS SUPER FAST!!!! I think my carb is trash, so I will be ordering a NEW Briggs brand carb for this. But even so, it revs really good. It will sit and idle nicely and you can just blip the throttle and it takes off! I revved it a little high a couple times, sounded great, didn't break up or run out of fuel or anything. Now under a load in the cart is a whole different story. We shall see.

Here is a video
Old 10-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Now, with the CPP cam there is no compression release. The newer aftermarket starter I have is having a little trouble turning the engine over. So, if you are thinking of doing this mod, make sure you keep this in mind. It's likely that it will require the high torque starter modification, which I am about to dive into and figure out. That might be the project for tomorrow before I put the engine back into the cart.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

If you need the longer bolts required for the heavy duty starter, I think I have them...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:17 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=98881

High torque starter thread...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Sure sounds nice! The cam maybe has more lift? Sure is different than the clone cheater Vegas cam I put in, it was way more duration the lobes were obviously much wider at the top of lobes, but it was supposed to be stock lift and then you use 1.3 rockers to get lift.

You might be right about the clutch Slonomo I'm having some issues with clutching. 90% of the time its good but sometimes it hits wrong and with the new slide carb it bogs a little. It did not with the CV carb, but now it has a fair amount more top end. You might consider one for that BS there, its working well on my 420. Yeah making an intake was a pain.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:28 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
If you need the longer bolts required for the heavy duty starter, I think I have them...
Have you installed the high torque starter before? I'll take the bolts, I'm sure I'll need them for the upgrade right?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Sure sounds nice! The cam maybe has more lift? Sure is different than the clone cheater Vegas cam I put in, it was way more duration the lobes were obviously much wider at the top of lobes, but it was supposed to be stock lift and then you use 1.3 rockers to get lift.

You might be right about the clutch Slonomo I'm having some issues with clutching. 90% of the time its good but sometimes it hits wrong and with the new slide carb it bogs a little. It did not with the CV carb, but now it has a fair amount more top end. You might consider one for that BS there, its working well on my 420. Yeah making an intake was a pain.
It does sound nice doesn't it. I think the shorter stroke makes these 16's rev quick.

Are you still using the 94c Duster clutch? I thought you upgraded? Man I really like this 780. I don't think I'll ever use anything else. It's smooth.

I was looking for a way to upgrade the carb on this engine. There aren't any adapters for the intake manifold that I know of, so I'll have to rig something up. The carb that's on there mounts with two bolts, so maybe a Mikuni style rubber carb mount will fit. But....it needs an elbow on top and probably a riser to raise it up some. I liked the Mikuni VM carb, but I think the CV carbs run smoother. I like the hookups on the CV carb better as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!