lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #11
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Charging question

Ohhh...oh
OK thats interesting..
Now I am extremely interested in why that is???
I will do some searching later... Have to run out now.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2020, 06:07 AM   #12
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Older thread but I wanted to just throw an update out here, and it may or may not get some eye rolls and Controversial responses....
I am still searching for a good used 48v charger for under $200 seems like an easy task until you go looking. The only one locally I found looks like to was run over by a truck and he still wants $250.
Meanwhile
In all of the research I have done my batteries call for a 12 to 15 amp initial Bulk charge for best lifecycle.
I have two Identical 6a Chargers that say they will do all of the proper charging IE... Bulk, Absorption, Float.
Here is my thought, If I parallel these two chargers and run them together that should in theory give me a 12a Bulk charge. Now I should be in a safe range for best lifecycle.
What I plan to do is run the positive side through a Shunt with a 20a ammeter so I can test this theory and be able to see it happen.
I really like the Idea of having the charger onboard so I don't have to lug extra crap around. The way I have it set up is both chargers mounted together in the battery compartment and wired to a recessed male 20a 110v where the original charger port was located just under driver on seat base this way all you ever need is an extension cord and you are in business. I have not tested this at this time because Holiday shipping sent my Ammeter from KY to CA to come back to NJ and I believe at this point is lost in USPS Hell. As soon as I get the ammeter installed I will update on if it works.
If I don't get a solid 12a initial charge then I scrap this plan and I am out $60 for the second charger I bought prior to the fine people here opening my eyes to the complicated world of Golf Cart Battery Charging....
Old 12-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #13
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Check this out, this charger gets good reviews from some people on the forum.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=172271
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #14
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That is a great price. I am gonna hold on for the moment and test my crazy set up.
My being cheap is (I think) good reason. At this point I paid $500 for the cart, $525 for Batteries, $60 for the oops charger, about $100 for hardware and Random plywood for seats, $300 for Seats, $100 for the Rear seat frame, $450 for tires/rims, $80 for all new Switches, $50 for led lights, and $50 for welding cable and lugs.
So I am $2215 into this Toilet and not done. Not to mention I bough a new Paint gun and hydraulic crimper. Prob approaching 50 to 60 hours of labor. If I spend another $200 on a charger I am over what I think I could ever get back out of it. Not that I intend to sell it anytime soon but really don"t want to be way upside down on a project like this.
I have done motorcycle restorations in the past where I was $6000 deep and sold the bike for $3500 and the wife wants to hang me... Even though I wouldn't trade the time spent doing it for anything in the world. I love doing these types of projects.
If you couldn't tell, I didn't sleep last night and rambling like an idiot....
Old 12-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #15
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

A few pics of the Crazy Dual charger I installed, like I said I am waiting on the ammeter so I can properly test it.
And a totally accidental cool feature is the led lights on the chargers light up the white receptacle so if is not bright sunlight you can see its red when charging and flips green when done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2398.jpg (164.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2397.jpg (94.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Installed Ammeter and the Chargers are working together as I thought they would. Started at 12 amps and they are slowly coming down now to see what they do when the batteries are full.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #17
Mikewheelz89
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Definitely not enough with that 6amp as KGSC and Croqezgo mentioned. Even if you buy a new charger (which I recommend) you'll still be better off shelling out the original money vs needing to buy new batteries in a couple years which are way more expensive
Mikewheelz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #18
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewheelz89 View Post
Definitely not enough with that 6amp as KGSC and Croqezgo mentioned. Even if you buy a new charger (which I recommend) you'll still be better off shelling out the original money vs needing to buy new batteries in a couple years which are way more expensive
It is now two 6 amp chargers that are delivering 12 amps and performing as they should.
We will see what happens, I am not sure how much this cart is even going to be used. So if we end up really using it a bunch and it becomes the Focus of our camping each weekend, then the batteries give out prematurely due to me not wanting to shell out another $400 for a charger, then I will apply that $400 down the road for a Lithium Upgrade....
Old 01-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #19
samsonx
Not Yet Wild

Maybe someone can explain this to me, but I fail to see how 6A (or 12A for that matter) would damage deep-cycle batteries. There is no minimum charge current for a battery - it just takes longer to charge at lower current!
samsonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #20
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I did not know anything about Deep Cycle batteries and I was overwhelmed trying to find the answer to "WHY" So from everything that I read, and videos I watched this is what I gathered.
Too little of amperage will take forever and cause the batteries to break down in a shorter amount of time. Too much amperage will cook them, boil out the water and break them down in a shorter period of time.
You want to use a charger that steps down as it charges, It starts at "Bulk Charge" then steps down to and "Absorption Charge" Then Finishes at a "Float Charge" These are "Smart Chargers" Old school just pumped amperage in with no adjustment and very easily overcharged them.
An appropriate charger should start charging between 7% and 10% of your AH.
So I have 170AH Batteries I should be starting between 12 and 17 amps.
What I was told is 13amps would best prolong my batteries.
I still do not know much, but that is my best understanding.
I stressed over this for a good amount of time, My batteries are only a few months old, I have not driven my cart more the 200 feet in my driveway just moving it in and out of garage as I am restoring it to a suitable Camp Ground cart.
My stress is fear of toasting the batteries within a few years instead of getting the Approximate 5 or 6 years out of them.
I have now thrown my hands up and figure let's see what happens.
When they do Die, wether in a year or I make it to 5 I will upgrade to a lithium set up.
Hope that helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts