lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Help with 4stroke engine coupled with a 2002 Ezgo Dana Spicer transaxle

True, you get loss with a CVT but it also serves as a simple light transmission. The rear is gears with very little loss, but adding other steps (belts, chains) drops you below the standard loss efficiency a cart would have.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #22
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help with 4stroke engine coupled with a 2002 Ezgo Dana Spicer transaxle

Sho305, thank you for the heavy dose of math! I think I follow. From what I can gather my Dana has a 12.44:1 ratio. I am currently awaiting a sprocket to complete a chain swap out for the belt in my jackshaft to transaxle set up. I figure using the two chains will certainly take belt slip out of the equation. I was able to tighten the chain from the GY6 output to the jackshaft with a half-link. As soon as the sprocket comes in I will do the replacement, see where that gets me and post my findings! Thanks again to you and Slonomo for the assistance!
CCGC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #23
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the long delay...been very frustrating. I think I gave chased the GY6 rabbit far enough and thrown enough $ and time at it...just can't overcome the torque issues. So, plan B...HF predator 420cc (picked up with recent 20%off coupon) with a 40 series torque converter and hopefully a FNR gearbox. All of my video watching and forum reading tells me this will do the job. Where can I find an engine cradle that will properly attach to my Dana transaxle? It looks like the ones from Vegas Carts won't fit due to my cart being an electric conversion...pumkin offset too far to the passenger side. Any help or advice on this plan B would be greatly appreciated! Still being pretty new to all of this, do I need to end this thread and start a new one with a new description/name better suited for the new plan? Thanks again guys!
Old 12-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #24
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

No one makes kits to convert electric carts to gas. You'll have to fabricate that engine mount and make it work. You can, however, purchase a universal clone mount plate and use that to weld/bolt into your subframe. I've seen those engine plates for like $20 bucks on Amazon and Ebay. Just google "gx390 engine mount plate" or "predator 420 engine mount" and you'll find it.

There are lots of people on here that have done this on different carts. It's no easy undertaking, but doable. The power of the 420 will be night and day compared to what you are using now.

I think you'll be pleased with the result of using the 420 engine and a gear box. A better solution would be to find a gas rear transaxle, but they are very hard to come by.

Starting a new thread would get you more attention/views/help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clone engine plate.jpg (31.0 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #25
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

Rgr all and thanks for all the help and advice so far! I'll get another thread going. Do you know if anyone makes a FNR gearbox compatible with the 40 series converter? I see many for the TAV2 30 series. I have seen one video of a guy using one with a 40 series on a 420cc and he indicated that it was working "so far". Can't find a follow-up though. My thought is maybe to give it a try since I'm not going to be racing the thing or doing crazy offroading...just need a reliable neighborhood cruiser. I have looked for a used gas rear end, but you're right...slim pick'ns.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #26
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Unfortunately this is not something I have experience in.

I do however have experience with atvs. You could use a transmission from a Polaris atv like a Trailblazer or Scrambler. You could even use the clutch from those machines as well. I'd use a Comet 780 primary with that setup. Then run a chain out the passenger side to your jackshaft, then chain to the right side gear on the trans.

This project seems like a ton of work. I think I'd be looking for a cheap gas cart with no engine. Where are you located?
Old 12-18-2020, 12:00 AM   #27
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

I am in Southeastern Va.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #28
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have a whole cart I'd sell to you. It's complete, just doesn't run. It has the ME29 transaxle for the gas Ezgo carts, it's just in a Jacobsen utility cart. I'd let the whole cart go cheap. The only thing you'd have to do would be convert your rear suspension to coil springs. I'd just use the whole swing arm and transaxle. It would be a lot less messing around. Just a thought. It's a project cart that I was going to rebuild the engine. I have too many projects at the moment.

I'm located in NE Ohio. It's an easy drive lol
Old 12-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #29
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the offer...I will seriously consider it. Perhaps we can talk after the holidays on the subject via PM. By the way, I did start a new thread under Clone Engine Swaps. It has had a few reads but nothing more. Should I cancel this thread?

Have a Merry Christmas 🎄⛄🎄
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!