lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
Vnee
Not Yet Wild

Default sputters but wont take off

Good evening, I am new to the site and am looking for help. My neighbor brought me his cart to help him get it running. It would occasionally fire but would not run. I found old fuel and water in the fuel tank so I drained it and started over. Still the same. i decided to check the timing to make sure it was ok but did not realize it had electronic ignition. I Found a cracked rotor that would move left and right on the shaft and was sloppy. I could not find an electronic ignition or rotor for it so I i spent the 160 and put a points set one the cart. I have great spark and seems like i am getting plenty of fuel. Any suggestions? it sputters faster at about half throttle but boggs when you go full throttle 1988-1995 par car i wanna say early 90's cant remember what he told me.
Vnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: sputters but wont take off

What you are describing is likely a timing issue but check the other stuff too. Compression should be 90+ but a little less should work. Fuel draw seems to be an issue with all old gassers. Regarding timing, go to the HD sub forum and do a search for timing. There is a ton of information there on it. There is a fuel draw sticky there as well.

Timing on these carts can be very tough. Don't forget the point gap part. It's just as critical as points plate position.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Vnee
Not Yet Wild

I have checked the timing and gap over and over thinking the same thing. I am ordering a compression test kit. I was wondering if it could be a fuel issue at first but it wont even go on starting fluid. I'll follow up once I have tested compression.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Vnee
Not Yet Wild

So I recent checked compression and it was only 65. I had the air cleaner off and noticed the fuel was blowing back through the carb. I also talked to my neighbor and he informed me the cart had oversized rings put in it recently because someone ran strait gas and locked it up. With the fuel blowing back through the carb I am questioning if the problem all along was the reed valve gone bad or not properly reinstalled when the motor was worked on. Any thoughts?
Old 10-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

These carts should have 90+ is psi. They will still run with less than that but things won't be optimal.

65 PSI to too low so you need, at minimum, a new piston and rings. I wouldn't be surprised of you broke a ring. Personally, I would replace the cylinder too but if your old one is still smooth it will probably work. Replacing the tops on these carts is very easy and shouldn't take more than an hour.

Gas flowing back to the carb could well be a bad reed. Bad crank seals can also cause that. There is no sense in worrying about those at all, though, until you get your compression where it needs to be. 65 psi could be the cause of the reverse fuel flow in and of itself.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar