lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #11
sporty2k
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Lithium Conversions Cuts out at full throttle

Thanks so much Sergio!!! I will start down that path today!! Also @NCPW I do live on the course so hopefully I at least get 2 rounds! Is another option to swap out the BMS to a Zeva? Would that be a better option or not really necessary?
sporty2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just edit my post once I noticed the lack of copper bus bars on that TechDirect design.

I really prefer to use copper busbars and a more robust BMS like the Zeva, but what I suggested would get you pass the excessive (for that BMS) current shutdown for about $10.

How well it is going to work on the long run depends on how robust are those PC board copper traces.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
sporty2k
Not Yet Wild

SO far so good thanks to Sergio. Is there anyway to notice if the circuit board copper will not be good enough? Also if I take the OEM charging cord from my club car charger and wire it to my Lithium charger is there any reason I can't just use the standard in-cart receptacle for charging?
sporty2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can use the cart receptacle to charge, just make sure the negative wire goes to the BMS where the Anderson connector is attached and not directly to pack negative.

You should also leave the gray wire disconnected to prevent a regular powerdrive charger to be used accidentally.

As far as the circuit board copper traces withstanding the current is going to depend on the amount of heat dissipation available.

After a day of driving touch the board to see if You feel too much heat or signs of discoloration caused by excessive heat.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
ysrman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You could always slap the 6.00 bus bars on top of the circuit board if you are worries.
ysrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #16
n5yzv
Not Yet Wild

What charger are you going to use? From what I see the BMS handles the charging, so if so, a simple power supply is needed. If that's the case, the club car charger may do the trick.
I need to put mine on the bench and see what it would take to disable the relay that the cart controller triggers.
n5yzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #17
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The BMS will usually just be set for the cell voltages and triggers a charger to cut off for protection. They do not have a charge algorithm I know of. If you are referring to the Powerdrive charger, it is essentially only a transformer and requires the OBC to actually control it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #18
gree7363
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Keep in mind the Leaf cells are only rated to do 90amps. A stock leaf module is 2s2p, so double your max 90a rating to 180a. If your running something like an Alltrax 500a, i'd be careful in how much you pull from that pack over long periods of time (>15s) as you could very quickly degrade / damage your cells.
gree7363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
gree7363
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5yzv View Post
What charger are you going to use? From what I see the BMS handles the charging, so if so, a simple power supply is needed. If that's the case, the club car charger may do the trick.
I need to put mine on the bench and see what it would take to disable the relay that the cart controller triggers.
I'd be careful with this. If you have a 7 module pack all connected in series, that is a 14s2p module. A 14s module requres 4.2v / cell. 4.2v x 14 = 58.8v absolute MAX Voltage from your supply into the pack. Never supply more voltage to the BMS than is rated by the actual max voltage of the pack. If the BMS fails (And cheap china BMS's do, often) you will over charge your pack and potentially cause sparks/fire.

My best recommendation here would be to limit your input voltage to about 4.1v / cell, so about 57.4v with a Constant Voltage / Constant Current supply, at about 10-15a. This will give your cells longer life, by not charging them to full 100% of their rated capacity. The harder you push Lithium cells the exponentially lower cycle count you can expect from them.
gree7363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gree7363 View Post
Keep in mind the Leaf cells are only rated to do 90amps. A stock leaf module is 2s2p, so double your max 90a rating to 180a. If your running something like an Alltrax 500a, i'd be careful in how much you pull from that pack over long periods of time (>15s) as you could very quickly degrade / damage your cells.
That is 90A per cell so that means that a 2S2P module is rated at 180A. That is a continuous rating I believe. If you use a 14 module setup that doubles the amp rating again to 360A. My cart has the current limit set at 400A which is just fine for a peak current.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car