lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
scalpem15
Not Yet Wild

Default Stick with series or no?

I currently have a 92 marathon 36v that I’ve slowly upgraded over the years. 500a FSIP controller, HD solenoid, 4ga cables, 4” Jakes lift kit on 22’s. Also added rear flip seat and HD leaf springs up front. I love the cart and it’s easy to work on (it’s gotta be easy if I can do it!), but it’s just so slow! I’ve planned on upgrading to 48v when my current pack dies and also am considering sending my stock motor to plum quick to let them do their thing.

Now I’m starting to think about selling what I have and upgrading technology to a PDS or sepex cart. I’m interested to hear thoughts about the pros and cons. Cart is mainly used around the neighborhood and occasional yard work.

I appreciate anything the group is willing to share!
scalpem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Stick with series or no?

If you have a 500 amp controller, why not get a high speed D&D motor and get the speeds you want now and go even faster on 48v someday?

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My $0.02......

You have a LOT of high quality ($$$) components already that you will probably NOT be able to recoup in a sale of the cart.....

First, make sure that your controller and solenoid are good for 48v....
Make the jump to 48v, with 2 ga. cables...I would recommend a new motor over the "rewind" of the motor you have. I have either used, or helped friends with the AMD-7124 Beast motor, an Admiral B1 and a GE 398.... all gave performance with speed and torque a plenty !!

Plus, Ive always liked the Old School look of a Marathon....
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Series carts excel where the work is heavy and the going is slow. They do a better job, are more efficient, and last longer in this situation.
But if your use is a mixed bag of yard work and neighborhood cruising you may be better suited with a TXT48. Once you get this cart outfitted with an Alltrax control you will never want the old cart again. The motor has plenty of torque and makes about 23mph on stock tires with the XCT control
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
If you have a 500 amp controller, why not get a high speed D&D motor and get the speeds you want now and go even faster on 48v someday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post
My $0.02......

You have a LOT of high quality ($$$) components already that you will probably NOT be able to recoup in a sale of the cart.....

First, make sure that your controller and solenoid are good for 48v....
Make the jump to 48v, with 2 ga. cables...I would recommend a new motor over the "rewind" of the motor you have. I have either used, or helped friends with the AMD-7124 Beast motor, an Admiral B1 and a GE 398.... all gave performance with speed and torque a plenty !!

Plus, Ive always liked the Old School look of a Marathon....
I'm with Luke and Tex......as I am one of those guys that already did what they suggested. you can see my set up in my sig.....and at 30 mph....that's plenty of speed.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
scalpem15
Not Yet Wild

Ok I’m listening! I really appreciate all of the feedback. Tex, you are correct I would likely take a loss on the sale- not a ton but still enough to matter. I’m interested in the thought of upgrading the motor prior to going 48v. Any ideas what kind of improved performance I would gain from that alone? I’m currently topping out at 13-14mph. As much as 25+ mph sounds fun, I’m teaching my young boys to drive the cart and am okay with a top speed of 20 or so. Also, is there a marked difference in 2ga cables vs 4ga?
scalpem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpem15 View Post
Ok I’m listening! I really appreciate all of the feedback. Tex, you are correct I would likely take a loss on the sale- not a ton but still enough to matter. I’m interested in the thought of upgrading the motor prior to going 48v. Any ideas what kind of improved performance I would gain from that alone? I’m currently topping out at 13-14mph. As much as 25+ mph sounds fun, I’m teaching my young boys to drive the cart and am okay with a top speed of 20 or so. Also, is there a marked difference in 2ga cables vs 4ga?

2GA carries even more amperage, causing less heat and better torque.

A series cart I recently redid with an 8.2 HP D&D motor would do 28 MPH on stock tires with 36v. 48v would just be too much speed.

My cart is a series cart with a 48v D&D motor and it will easily go 25, but still pull a ton of weight.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
2GA carries even more amperage, causing less heat and better torque.

A series cart I recently redid with an 8.2 HP D&D motor would do 28 MPH on stock tires with 36v. 48v would just be too much speed.

My cart is a series cart with a 48v D&D motor and it will easily go 25, but still pull a ton of weight.

which D&D motor do you have?
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

It’s an 8.2 HP ten spline series motor. For Club Car and Yamaha. Mine is 48v and goes 26MPH.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO